GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Edible berry? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/192480-edible-berry.html)

Jossy 03-07-2010 09:53 PM

Edible berry?

4 Attachment(s)
Hello

There have been many posts about edible berries but I could not find anything that looks like the one I'm after so please forgive a newbie if this has been handled before.

I have a 6m tree/shrub in my garden with black berries, end of June / beginning of July in central London, England. The tree attracts wood pigeons. I tasted the berries and they are sweet with low acidity and a slight almond aftertaste (cyanide??? heeelp!!!). I made a jam and then decided to post on this forum before I went ahead and poisoned my whole family :-)

My guess is that it is some sort of whitebeam (the leaves are slightly whiter below than above.)

I am including a few photos. If anyone out there has sufficient expertise to give me a definite identification I would be ever so grateful.

Jossy

Jossy 04-07-2010 02:16 PM

I forgot to add that the tree has white flowers in the spring that turn to a light pink.