Old 15-07-2010, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Ok - first tomato, first blackberry and sticky pots

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 7/14/10 12:01 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Next year, I want to add lettuce to my flower beds - edible foliage!

Lettuce can look quite nice. If you go to
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u you can see my lettuce patch with green,
red, and freckled lettuce, among the odd buckwheat, alyssum, and
impatiens. There is catnip showing in the upper right, and a jalapeno in
the lower right.

Very nice Billy. Wish my tomatoes were that big.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or it could be that the tomatoes with fruit are
Glaciers (60 days to maturity, determinate, for container gardening),
germinated mid-March, and grown with clear plastic ground cover.
The garden is a month ahead of where it was last year, whereas most
gardens in the region are 3 weeks behind normal. Usually, we don't get
tomatoes until September, and we've already had five of them (a small
Marmande, 2 Stupice, and 2 Glacier + 2 more waiting to be picked ;O).

BTW - I'm not 100% sure, but I think your unknown plant is a comfrey...

Thanks, that pretty much makes it unanimous. It was still in the
unknown-folder because of one of my personality traits, sloth. Hopefully
it is out now.

I have lots of garden pictures on Facebook, I shouldn't be hard to find.

Cheryl

--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude