Old 18-08-2010, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Ten mistakes concerning tomatoes

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"The Cook" wrote in message

I can plain tomatoes, various pasta sauces, salsa, relishes. If it
was listed in a canning book I probably tried it. Also gave away a
lot.

Have you ever made tomato jam?

Tomato jam is the best use for all the green ones left on the plant at the
end of season when you pull them out. Yum.

David

I remember my grandmother making a green tomato pie that was quite like
apple. It's been many years but I think I'm remembering correctly.
Steve

Old 18-08-2010, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"The Cook" wrote in message

I can plain tomatoes, various pasta sauces, salsa, relishes. If it
was listed in a canning book I probably tried it. Also gave away a
lot.

Have you ever made tomato jam?

Tomato jam is the best use for all the green ones left on the plant at the
end of season when you pull them out. Yum.

David

I remember my grandmother making a green tomato pie that was quite like
apple. It's been many years but I think I'm remembering correctly.
Steve

I have 2 Armenian cukes that look like they have wilt. Right next to
them are 2 lemon cukes who seem to be doing OK except for the 2
Romanesco cukes, right next to them, that turned out to be zuchs. Putain.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 18-08-2010, 07:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Doug Freyburger" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"The Cook" wrote:

I can plain tomatoes, various pasta sauces, salsa, relishes. If it
was listed in a canning book I probably tried it. Also gave away a
lot.

Have you ever made tomato jam?

Is it much thicker than tomato paste?

It's a jam - the sort that is sweet and that you spread on toast

Old 18-08-2010, 07:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"The Cook" wrote in message

I can plain tomatoes, various pasta sauces, salsa, relishes. If it
was listed in a canning book I probably tried it. Also gave away a
lot.

Have you ever made tomato jam?

Tomato jam is the best use for all the green ones left on the plant at the
end of season when you pull them out. Yum.

I've been meaning to try green fried tomato but have not yet gotten around
to it when we have some to try. Now, with your recommendation, I'll need to
add tom jam to that list or round to-its.

Our green toms tend to get used in Green tom pickle but I don't like that
pickle nearly as much as my rich fruit chutney that uses ripe toms - I used
to have to post jars of it to an elderly friend which turned out to be
damned expensive given the cost of postage.

Old 18-08-2010, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message

FarmI wrote:
"The Cook" wrote in message

[...]

The cucumber beetles seem to love the Armenians more than cantaloupes here.
I can't grow either. The toughest ones seem to be the pickling cukes.
Planting them and judicious use of pyrethrum is the only way to get enough
for pickling.

It's my understanding that the only way to break the cycle is to stop
growing all cucurbits and corn for several years. The beetle larvae feed on
the corn roots then the adults feed on the cucurbits.

Steve

Old 18-08-2010, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

http://english.aljazeera.net/video/m...6515308172.htm

The cucumber beetles seem to love the Armenians more than cantaloupes here.
I can't grow either. The toughest ones seem to be the pickling cukes.
Planting them and judicious use of pyrethrum is the only way to get enough
for pickling.

It's my understanding that the only way to break the cycle is to stop
growing all cucurbits and corn for several years. The beetle larvae feed on
the corn roots then the adults feed on the cucurbits.

Steve

The Armenian cukes got into trouble quickly, and this is in an area
where I haven't grown corn or cucurbits before. The growing tips of the
cukes look fine but from there on down it looks like wilt. The lemon
cukes, next to the Armenians, look fine except that the zuchs, which I
mistook for Romanesco cukes, are over shadowing them. The Romanesco
cukes are growing slowly, but look healthy and are each producing at
least a cuke a week, each. Going to have to go in and open up the zuch
canopy today. Problem is, the zuchs are growing toward the cukes, so the
canopy is where the latest foliage is. Stuffed zucchini in on the menu
tonight, again. I feel like we are saving the planet, one zuch at a time
;O)
Presently, we are having zucchini at least 2 - 3 times a week, pesto
every 5 days, about the same for bruchetta, and salad everyday from the
garden. Tomatoes are just coming on. Between the bruchetta and salad, we
ate 6, 2" tomatoes last night.

The cherry tomatoes (Blondkopfchen[yellow] & Koralic[red]) are steadily
producing, the (2)Glaciers have 3 or so a day between them, and the
Stupice seems to have caught its breath and is producing again. The
Marmande have several ripening to a deeper redness, and the Old German
is starting to lose its solid green look and is taking on some yellow
streaks. It's hard to tell how close the Zebras are, and the Brandywines
are huge and dark green.

Not too bad for 6 hours full sun.