Old 15-08-2010, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Ten mistakes concerning tomatoes

http://www.chiff.com/a/garden-tomato.htm

Touches on a few thing discussed here. Nice and concise.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org

Old 16-08-2010, 11:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote in news:b2forewagner-
:

http://www.chiff.com/a/garden-tomato.htm

Thanks for this useful link.

Item 3 in the list though suggests 6 plants for a family of four!
I suppose for a family that size it may be enough for a few salads or
nibbles.
Our family is the same size but last year 22 outdoor plants(no greenhouse
here sadly) were hardly enough so this year we did 30.
The varieties are Gardeners Delight, Sweet Million(both cherry type) and
Incas(plum)
We preserve them though when we have a glut, in jars and bottles for
curries, soups juices etc. and still run out of them thats why we grow so
many.
We still have to buy fresh ones out of season.
Tomatoes my number 1 fav.

Thanks again
Sandra and Micky

Old 16-08-2010, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Escargo" wrote in message

Item 3 in the list though suggests 6 plants for a family of four!
I suppose for a family that size it may be enough for a few salads or
nibbles.
Our family is the same size but last year 22 outdoor plants(no greenhouse
here sadly) were hardly enough so this year we did 30.

Ha, that's like my family of six, who couldn't be satisfied with 60 tomato
plants last year!
--S.

Old 16-08-2010, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Aug 15, 2:18*pm, Bill who putters wrote:
*http://www.chiff.com/a/garden-tomato.htm

* Touches on a few thing discussed here. *Nice and concise.

--
Bill *S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
* globalvoicesonline.org

Good stuff. The guy with the BER and splitting problems should copy
and post in his garden
Old 17-08-2010, 11:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Suzanne D." wrote in
:

"Escargo" wrote in message

Item 3 in the list though suggests 6 plants for a family of four!
I suppose for a family that size it may be enough for a few salads or
nibbles.
Our family is the same size but last year 22 outdoor plants(no
greenhouse here sadly) were hardly enough so this year we did 30.

Ha, that's like my family of six, who couldn't be satisfied with 60
tomato plants last year!
--S.

Thats a good thing, kids need vitamins and yours are obviously getting
them.
I think an early appetite for fruit and veg sets kids up to enjoy them for
life.
Do you preserve some of them? If so how, I am always looking out for
different tried and tested methods.
We are eating ours as fast as they ripen so next year we will find space
for even more.

Best regards
Sandra and Micky

Old 17-08-2010, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:43:27 GMT, Escargo wrote:

"Suzanne D." wrote in
:

"Escargo" wrote in message

[...]

Two of us here but with a couple of kids who show up and leave with
jars of food.

I usually plant at least 50 and hope for the best. One year I planted
100 and spent the month of August between the garden and the kitchen.
I can plain tomatoes, various pasta sauces, salsa, relishes. If it
was listed in a canning book I probably tried it. Also gave away a
lot.

This year blight has just about wiped out the tomato crop so I am
making things that we have run out of, primarily spaghetti and pizza
sauces. Besides they are quick to make and can.

As the local county extension agent says, "Copy Rotation."
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 17-08-2010, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"The Cook" wrote in message

I can plain tomatoes, various pasta sauces, salsa, relishes. If it
was listed in a canning book I probably tried it. Also gave away a
lot.

Have you ever made tomato jam?

Old 17-08-2010, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 23:20:25 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"The Cook" wrote in message

I can plain tomatoes, various pasta sauces, salsa, relishes. If it
was listed in a canning book I probably tried it. Also gave away a
lot.

Have you ever made tomato jam?

Yes and jelly too.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 17-08-2010, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"The Cook" wrote:

I can plain tomatoes, various pasta sauces, salsa, relishes. If it
was listed in a canning book I probably tried it. Also gave away a
lot.

Have you ever made tomato jam?

Is it much thicker than tomato paste? At some point the moisture level
drops and it gets hard to prevent burning.
Old 17-08-2010, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

"The Cook" wrote in message

I can plain tomatoes, various pasta sauces, salsa, relishes. If it
was listed in a canning book I probably tried it. Also gave away a
lot.

Have you ever made tomato jam?

Yes and jelly too.

Guess you know about Iranian carrot jam ?

http://sadaf.com/store/product487.html

Old 17-08-2010, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:27:41 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

wrote:

"The Cook" wrote in message

I can plain tomatoes, various pasta sauces, salsa, relishes. If it
was listed in a canning book I probably tried it. Also gave away a
lot.

Have you ever made tomato jam?

Yes and jelly too.

Guess you know about Iranian carrot jam ?

http://sadaf.com/store/product487.html

I hate cooked carrots. Raw are fine.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 17-08-2010, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Escargo" wrote in message
"Suzanne D." wrote in

\ Ha, that's like my family of six, who couldn't be satisfied with 60
tomato plants last year!
--S.

Thats a good thing, kids need vitamins and yours are obviously getting
them.
I think an early appetite for fruit and veg sets kids up to enjoy them for
life.

Oh absolutely. Kids will eat what you feed them, if you make sure to feed
them the right things early and often. My kids LOVE fresh vegetables. In
good garden years they will barely eat anything I cook inside; they just go
out to the garden and nibble all day.

Do you preserve some of them? If so how, I am always looking out for
different tried and tested methods.

We usually don't have much left over to preserve. I try to make tomato
sauce when we have surplus, but it's been a few years since we did.
--S.

Old 17-08-2010, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Suzanne D." wrote:

"Escargo" wrote in message
"Suzanne D." wrote in

[...]

My kids knew about wild blueberries early on and looking for edible
pod peas early. But the oldest two still complain in a away about
moving hens for eggs which I wonder if theirs will ever enjoy. Seems I
may have to lead the way but a glimmer of hope did appear and a future
son in law looks like he may consider self sufficiency a worth while
endeavor .

We will see.

Old 17-08-2010, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"The Cook" wrote in message

I can plain tomatoes, various pasta sauces, salsa, relishes. If it
was listed in a canning book I probably tried it. Also gave away a
lot.

Have you ever made tomato jam?

Tomato jam is the best use for all the green ones left on the plant at the
end of season when you pull them out. Yum.

David

Old 17-08-2010, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Doug Freyburger wrote:
FarmI wrote:
"The Cook" wrote:

I can plain tomatoes, various pasta sauces, salsa, relishes. If it
was listed in a canning book I probably tried it. Also gave away a
lot.

Have you ever made tomato jam?

Is it much thicker than tomato paste? At some point the moisture
level drops and it gets hard to prevent burning.

It is not different to making any kind of jam in that respect, when it gets
to nearly cooked it will spit and spatter and you must stir continually and
systematically all over the pot. I recommend trying green tomato jam at
least once.

David