GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   sweet Corn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/193441-sweet-corn.html)

Mikemac100 27-08-2010 03:43 PM

sweet Corn

Probably a silly question.nWhats the best way to tell when sweetcorn is ready to pick? Do I pull the greenery back?

sueb 28-08-2010 12:00 AM

sweet Corn

--
Mikemac100

I grew corn again this year for the first time in several years, so I
just struggled through this. Wait until the ends of the silks are dry
and the ears feel firm all the way along the ear.

You can peel back the husks and pierce a kernel to see if it's juicy
also but I found the first two indicators are pretty good.

Susan B.

Mikemac100 28-08-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sueb (Post 898701)
On Aug 27, 7:43*am, Mikemac100
wrote:
Probably a silly question.nWhats the best way to tell when sweetcorn is
ready to pick? Do I pull the greenery back?

--
Mikemac100

I grew corn again this year for the first time in several years, so I
just struggled through this. Wait until the ends of the silks are dry
and the ears feel firm all the way along the ear.

You can peel back the husks and pierce a kernel to see if it's juicy
also but I found the first two indicators are pretty good.

Susan B.

thats great Susan. Thanks