Old 10-09-2010, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What variety of squirrel populates Berkeley, CA?

They all seem to look pretty much alike, orange/brown, bushy tales,
don't know how else to describe them except that they are very common in
Berkeley, CA. What exact variety of squirrel is this? One in particular
has been raveging my pumpkin/squash patch, having eaten most or part of
at least 11 of my current crop. I'm trying to research the beast. I have
a trap on order, but until it gets here, well, I'm getting at least 2
casualties a day.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/10/2010 4:31 PM, Dan Musicant wrote:
They all seem to look pretty much alike, orange/brown, bushy tales,
don't know how else to describe them except that they are very common in
Berkeley, CA. What exact variety of squirrel is this? One in particular
has been raveging my pumpkin/squash patch, having eaten most or part of
at least 11 of my current crop. I'm trying to research the beast. I have
a trap on order, but until it gets here, well, I'm getting at least 2
casualties a day.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaycross/92400978/

Obviously
Old 11-09-2010, 12:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dan Musicant said:

They all seem to look pretty much alike, orange/brown, bushy tales,
don't know how else to describe them except that they are very common in
Berkeley, CA. What exact variety of squirrel is this? One in particular
has been raveging my pumpkin/squash patch, having eaten most or part of
at least 11 of my current crop. I'm trying to research the beast. I have
a trap on order, but until it gets here, well, I'm getting at least 2
casualties a day.

Gray squirrels and fox squirrels have both been introduced to California.
A key trait for distinguishing them is the color of the belly: typically, white
in the smaller gray squirrel and (appropos the name) a rust color in the fox
squirrel. (There are odd color morphs and subspecies for that break this
rule -- the most common being gray squirrels that are entirely black.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 11-09-2010, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9/11/2010 6:33 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Dan Musicant said:

They all seem to look pretty much alike, orange/brown, bushy tales,
don't know how else to describe them except that they are very common in
Berkeley, CA. What exact variety of squirrel is this? One in particular
has been raveging my pumpkin/squash patch, having eaten most or part of
at least 11 of my current crop. I'm trying to research the beast. I have
a trap on order, but until it gets here, well, I'm getting at least 2
casualties a day.

Gray squirrels and fox squirrels have both been introduced to California.
A key trait for distinguishing them is the color of the belly: typically, white
in the smaller gray squirrel and (appropos the name) a rust color in the fox
squirrel. (There are odd color morphs and subspecies for that break this
rule -- the most common being gray squirrels that are entirely black.)

My response was facetious but you can google up pictures of all squirrel
species - I believe over 250. It's probably a fox squirrel.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dan Musicant said:

[...]

If they are small and reddish they could be pine squirrels.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dan Musicant said:

[...]

Pine squirrels are small and tough -- I've seem a pine squirrel chase off a
much larger fox squirrel. But they are far more likely to be littering your
yard with debris from fir, spruce or pine trees rather than tearing into
mature squash. Pine squirrels will make off with the occasional strawberry
or other small fruit, though.

Old 15-09-2010, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:31:54 -0700, Dan Musicant
wrote:

:They all seem to look pretty much alike, orange/brown, bushy tales,
:don't know how else to describe them except that they are very common in
:Berkeley, CA. What exact variety of squirrel is this? One in particular
:has been raveging my pumpkin/squash patch, having eaten most or part of
:at least 11 of my current crop. I'm trying to research the beast. I have
:a trap on order, but until it gets here, well, I'm getting at least 2
:casualties a day.
:
an
:
:
:Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

This squirrel is smart, very smart. It did a Houdini to escape my live
squirrel trap, just bought on eBay, 16 x 6 x 6 inches. It definitely was
in the trap and escaped. I think it's probably a red squirrel. I tried
the live trap again, and the damned thing got the bait out of the trap
without going inside. Masterful! I had peanut buttered the last 5" or so
of a stick and set it into the trap from above. Hard to believe the
rodent figured out how to get that stick out, but it did and ate all the
PNB. I think it's probably the same squirrel that's been harassing me
for 3 years or so, but he's getting better and better. He stopped
hitting the rat traps I have out there (around 6, all baited with PN
butter).

I deduced that the live trap isn't big enough. This is a BIG squirrel. I
saw it again today and I think the nose to end of tail it's about 20-22
inches. The tail keeps the gate from closing on the trap and it somehow
got out, either turning around inside or lifting its tail and backing
out. I thought of returning the trap and ordering a bigger one but
instead I modified the trap today, adding 10" to the length with some
wire mesh I had lying around. I have it set now, and think this time I'm
likely to get the bugger. I'm going to let it out several miles from my
house.

Old 15-09-2010, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Do you have too many trees to put chicken wire collars around them, or
wrap your fruit in? I certainly understand your anger, but is there any
concession you could make to keep the squirrels happy without destroying
your plants. I give mine a walnut a day, away from the garden, and
loosely wrap chicken wire, 5' to 6' up around the trees where they
access my garden. It has worked for me, YMMV.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 15-09-2010, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 22:07:50 -0700, Billy
wrote:

:In article ,
:
: wrote:
:
: :They all seem to look pretty much alike, orange/brown, bushy tales,
: :don't know how else to describe them except that they are very common in
: :Berkeley, CA. What exact variety of squirrel is this? One in particular
: :has been raveging my pumpkin/squash patch, having eaten most or part of
: :at least 11 of my current crop. I'm trying to research the beast. I have
: :a trap on order, but until it gets here, well, I'm getting at least 2
: :casualties a day.
: :
: an
: :
: :
[...]

I don't care if they climb my two plum trees. I see them in those trees
frequently, and they can have all the plums they want. There's more than
I can use in anycase. Birds get a lot of them, but again, I don't care
particularly.

But the pumpkins are another matter. I can't keep them safe from a
squirrel determined to eat them. What I do do is grow them up trellises
made of long bamboo. This protects most of the crop from squirrels, and
95% of my currently maturing crop is so situated. The ones on the ground
have either been picked by me or at least partially eaten by
squirrel(s). More than a dozen were hit by squirrel(s). There are maybe
1/2 dozen left on the ground, mostly seemingly not noticed by the
rodent(s). I have a few tucked into ~1' high containers, where the
rodent(s) can't see them. I haven't checked the lengthened (now 26")
trap this morning. Want to give time for the rodent to hit the patch (I
read in Wikipedia today, that they like to go out foraging after dawn
and about dusk to avoid both predators and noon-day heat), but it's been
only a sometime thing lately, so maybe, maybe not.

Old 16-09-2010, 08:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article wildbilly-39D30B.22075014092010@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...

Do you have too many trees to put chicken wire collars around them, or
wrap your fruit in? I certainly understand your anger, but is there any
concession you could make to keep the squirrels happy without destroying
your plants. I give mine a walnut a day, away from the garden, and
loosely wrap chicken wire, 5' to 6' up around the trees where they
access my garden. It has worked for me, YMMV.

I used to love squirrels as a kid and still get a kick out of them
now... but now they are fluffy tailed tree rats.

Putting the irrelevancy aside....

How would chicken wire collars work?

I've seen sheet metal or plastic used to deny squirrels access to trees
but given how well squirrels climb, chicken wire seems a minor obstacle.

It's a learning curve. We all love learning curves, right? I found one
squirrel screwing around in the chicken wire. I walked up to it, and
when it saw me, it took off like a roman candle. My seedling are at the
base of the tree.

Since I put up the chicken wire collars, my plants haven't been bothered
by squirrels. Maybe it makes no sense, but it works for me. The chicken
wire has to be out from the tree (U), not pulled tight to it.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

ObJoke:

the edible kind.

songbird (who's actually never eaten squirrel, possum or raccoon...
yet...
Old 07-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
ObJoke:

the edible kind.

songbird (who's actually never eaten squirrel, possum or raccoon...
yet...
I've just been reading about black squirrels, at least you don't have these little nasties Black squirrels are found around Iowa
Artificial Grass - This is now compulsory for me...
Old 25-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Registered User

Gray squirrels, fox squirrels have been introduced to California. A key feature is the color difference between the belly: usually, white in a small gray squirrel and of a rust-colored fox squirrels.