Old 25-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Registered User

Default Potato plant stem problem

Hi all

Yesterday we had some strong winds which have flattened the stems of my potato plants (main crop growing in bags). It looks as though they've been damaged to the point where they won't straighten up again even if they were tied to stakes.

The plants have flowers on them of which some have opened and others are about to open. Would it affect the potatoes in any way if I cut the stems back or has the damage already been done?

Any help much appreciated.

Lordspudz
__________________
www.spudzsveg.weebly.com
Old 25-09-2010, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Lordspudz wrote:
Hi all

Yesterday we had some strong winds which have flattened the stems of
my potato plants (main crop growing in bags). It looks as though
they've been damaged to the point where they won't straighten up
again even if they were tied to stakes.

The plants have flowers on them of which some have opened and others
are about to open. Would it affect the potatoes in any way if I cut
the stems back or has the damage already been done?

Any help much appreciated.

Lordspudz

When the plants stop photosythesising the spuds stop growing, if the plant
is damaged but still living growth will slow down. Cutting the damage off
will not do much so you may as well stand up as many as possible. How long
until frost?

David

Old 26-09-2010, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Lordspudz said:

Hi all

Yesterday we had some strong winds which have flattened the stems of my
potato plants (main crop growing in bags). It looks as though they've
been damaged to the point where they won't straighten up again even if
they were tied to stakes.

The plants have flowers on them of which some have opened and others
are
about to open. Would it affect the potatoes in any way if I cut the
stems back or has the damage already been done?

I's suggest only cutting back any stems that are very clearly so damaged that
the foliage is above is dead or clearly dying (rather than wilting during the
day and recovering at night). Save what can be saved.

Keep an eagle eye out for blight or fungus -- the injuries to the plants create
opportunities for infection.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 27-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Registered User

Tomatoes are one of the true joys of gardening. But tomatoes can suffer all manner of diseases and pests. Tomato growth problems are often the result of weather conditions.Potato plague spreads rapidly, when the leaves are wet, Eventually , It is very hard to in particular weather .
Old 28-09-2010, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sam Sam is offline

On Sep 25, 1:45*pm, Lordspudz
wrote:
Hi all

Yesterday we had some strong winds which have flattened the stems of my
potato plants (main crop growing in bags). It looks as though they've
been damaged to the point where they won't straighten up again even if
they were tied to stakes.

The plants have flowers on them of which some have opened and others are
about to open. Would it affect the potatoes in any way if I cut the
stems back or has the damage already been done?

Any help much appreciated.

Lordspudz

--
Lordspudz

Lordspudz,

It's a shame what the weather can do to our plants. My only suggestion
would at least try stakes and see if they hold up better in the wind.