GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tomato "blossom end rot" what to do? (long) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/19412-re-tomato-blossom-end-rot-what-do-long.html)

Frogleg 30-04-2003 09:32 PM

tomato "blossom end rot" what to do? (long)

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:00:58 GMT, "Lynn Coffelt"
wrote:

OK, I've seen lots of posts here concerning blossom end rot, but didn't pay
enough attention. It wouldn't happen to me.

Question here is, what to do with infected tomatoes? It's too late to rip
out and replant, and may happen again anyway, but should those showing the
black bottom be picked (green) and disposed of?

Last year we had the same problem, maybe one out of six exhibiting the
problem. Same ratio this year it seems. Last year (since we only grow three
or four plants) we kept them all, and just cut out the black end before
eating them. Didn't seem to affect the taste any, and we could salvage more
than half of each bum one.

Go ahead, lay it on me, I know I should have paid more attention while
lurking here over the past couple of years.

Google on "blossom end rot" and follow a few of the excellent
university research links.

Then move to Google groups and look up past threads here.

Frogleg 30-04-2003 09:32 PM

tomato "blossom end rot" what to do? (long)

wrote:

OK, I've seen lots of posts here concerning blossom end rot, but didn't pay
enough attention. It wouldn't happen to me.

Question here is, what to do with infected tomatoes? It's too late to rip
out and replant, and may happen again anyway, but should those showing the
black bottom be picked (green) and disposed of?

Last year we had the same problem, maybe one out of six exhibiting the
problem. Same ratio this year it seems. Last year (since we only grow three
or four plants) we kept them all, and just cut out the black end before
eating them. Didn't seem to affect the taste any, and we could salvage more
than half of each bum one.

Go ahead, lay it on me, I know I should have paid more attention while
lurking here over the past couple of years.

Oh, and the tomatoes aren't "infected" as with a disease. It's a
'condition' related to irregular watering and/or something about
calcium. Perfectly safe to cut off the black part and eat the rest.

Jim 30-04-2003 09:56 PM

wrote:

OK, I've seen lots of posts here concerning blossom end rot, but didn't pay
enough attention. It wouldn't happen to me.

snip

Google on "blossom end rot" and follow a few of the excellent
university research links.

The first link,
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-28-d.html
ought to do the trick. Clear, concise, cause & effect, solution.

Jim

Nicole H 01-05-2003 05:32 AM

tomato "blossom end rot" what to do? (long)

What I was told
don't use too much nitrogen
water on a regular schedule

This should solve the problems
Nicole
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
OK, I've seen lots of posts here concerning blossom end rot, but didn't

pay
enough attention. It wouldn't happen to me.

Question here is, what to do with infected tomatoes? It's too late to rip
out and replant, and may happen again anyway, but should those showing the
black bottom be picked (green) and disposed of?

Last year we had the same problem, maybe one out of six exhibiting the
problem. Same ratio this year it seems. Last year (since we only grow

three
or four plants) we kept them all, and just cut out the black end before
eating them. Didn't seem to affect the taste any, and we could salvage

more
than half of each bum one.

Go ahead, lay it on me, I know I should have paid more attention while
lurking here over the past couple of years.

Lynn