GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Call for discussion on subjects that should be labelled OT (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/194158-re-call-discussion-subjects-should-labelled-ot.html)

Suzanne D.[_2_] 20-10-2010 10:47 PM

Call for discussion on subjects that should be labelled OT

"phorbin" wrote in message

Thoughts or additions anyone?

I would suggest that instead of putting OT: people just put OT without the
colon, as some news readers strip anything before the colon when replying.
So the "OT" would not show up in some replies, and would make it through to
anyone who was filtering it.
--S.

phorbin 21-10-2010 12:54 PM

Call for discussion on subjects that should be labelled OT

In article ,
says...

"phorbin" wrote in message

Thoughts or additions anyone?

I would suggest that instead of putting OT: people just put OT without the
colon, as some news readers strip anything before the colon when replying.
So the "OT" would not show up in some replies, and would make it through to
anyone who was filtering it.
--S.

Which newsreader does this?

Gary Woods 21-10-2010 02:15 PM

Call for discussion on subjects that should be labelled OT

phorbin wrote:

Which newsreader does this?

IIRC, something of Micro$loth's, and only at the beginning of the message
body. It's a bug they acknowledge but don't care to fix.

Bill who putters 21-10-2010 02:41 PM

Gary Woods wrote:

phorbin wrote:

Which newsreader does this?

IIRC, something of Micro$loth's, and only at the beginning of the message
body. It's a bug they acknowledge but don't care to fix.

I'd hazard a guess that the usenet reading experience varies widely for
the folks here. The OT issue is trivial for me and my filtering is
easy.

My question. Does have OT or Off Topic in the header help folks? I
usually wait for the first then just kill the tread willa bing
willa bong.

Bill who know what VAX notes was and archie in the day.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...l-supplements/

Doug Freyburger 21-10-2010 03:21 PM

Call for discussion on subjects that should be labelled OT

phorbin wrote:
says...

I would suggest that instead of putting OT: people just put OT without the
colon, as some news readers strip anything before the colon when replying.
So the "OT" would not show up in some replies, and would make it through to
anyone who was filtering it.
--S.

Which newsreader does this?

It would appear that Suzanne's Microsoft Windows Mail does it. Being
primarily an email application that happens to have NNTP functionality
added on there's sense to it. In email chains the " " on the front
used to build longer and longer so they took up trimming out up to the
last ": " (ignoring the rest to account for Re, re, fwd and many other
variations) and replacing it all with their own " ". I would not be
surprised if Thunderbird also did the same thing as it is also an email
application that happens to have NNTP functionality added on.

Google groups was also famous for doing the same thing for years.

Gary Woods 21-10-2010 03:29 PM

Bill who putters wrote:

Bill who know what VAX notes was and archie in the day.

Then you probably know how to toggle in a loader routine in octal?

Gary Woods 21-10-2010 03:33 PM

Bill who putters wrote:

My question. Does have OT or Off Topic in the header help folks?

For me, it's something that may be interesting, though I'm fairly quick
with "ignore thread" if not. Truth is, trying to impose rules on an
unmoderated groups is akin to urinating upwind. I've found that a very few
KF rules provide lossless compression.
As somebody wisely pointed out (I'm too dang lazy to look back and see
who), there's very little on this gardening group that's _truly_ OT!

Bill who putters 21-10-2010 03:43 PM

Gary Woods wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:

Bill who know what VAX notes was and archie in the day.

Then you probably know how to toggle in a loader routine in octal?

No but my buddies Roy or Peter would.

Doug Freyburger 21-10-2010 05:36 PM

Bill who putters wrote:

Bill who know what VAX notes was and archie in the day.

Mosaic will never catch on. Gopher with pictures, it's no big deal. ;^)

Bill who putters 21-10-2010 08:30 PM

Call for discussion on subjects that should be labelled OT

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

With apologies, I think laziness is an excuse, not an option.

I've probably not said this very well but I don't have the time to
rework it so off it goes.

I look at this and think.

21st Century Schizoid Man 7:27 King Crimson Court of the Crimson
King Rock MPEG audio file 80 1969

phorbin 21-10-2010 09:04 PM

Bill who putters wrote:

My question. Does have OT or Off Topic in the header help folks?

For me, it's something that may be interesting, though I'm fairly quick
with "ignore thread" if not. Truth is, trying to impose rules on an
unmoderated groups is akin to urinating upwind. I've found that a very few
KF rules provide lossless compression.
As somebody wisely pointed out (I'm too dang lazy to look back and see
who), there's very little on this gardening group that's _truly_ OT!

Some of the best unmoderated groups I've participated in adhere to the
basics and continue to do so.

OT when it's off topic, no flames, mostly bottom posting, and editing
quotes to a reasonable minimum are generally adhered to. It really does
make for a better environment. It always has.

I'll point out that my query has brought a good comment stream. The
quality of the group does seem to matter to people.

As the thread gets away from the original post, I think I should stress
that I brought the issue up to corral a number of hot-button issues that
tend to provoke grudge matches to the death.

I'm not trying to suggest that any rule or set of rules should have a
death grip on the newsgroup but that the discipline of making
distinctions between what is and is not on topic or what will or will
not tend to create conflict and then expressing that discipline in
making a choice is showing some measure of respect to everyone who has
this group in the queue.

I keep saying I've been around text based networks incl. USENET for a
very long time. Eternal September was about 1/3 of the length of time
I'd been online a few years ago. It doesn't mean much I suppose, beyond
giving me a bit of perspective.

Groups work, newsgroup cultures work when there are accepted and
acceptable rules that maximize cooperation and minimize or marginalize
conflict. Moderation works when it's (mostly) very light handed.
Unmoderated works when the subject matters to the participants and they
are disciplined enough accept and constantly re-create the rules by
example.

phorbin 22-10-2010 01:04 AM

phorbin wrote:

With apologies, I think laziness is an excuse, not an option.

I've probably not said this very well but I don't have the time to
rework it so off it goes.

I look at this and think.

21st Century Schizoid Man 7:27 King Crimson Court of the Crimson
King Rock MPEG audio file 80 1969

LOL

Just the title I trust.

The lyrics are kinda out to launch in context.

Suzanne D.[_2_] 22-10-2010 03:21 AM

Call for discussion on subjects that should be labelled OT

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"phorbin" wrote in message

Thoughts or additions anyone?

I would suggest that instead of putting OT: people just put OT without
the
colon, as some news readers strip anything before the colon when
replying.
So the "OT" would not show up in some replies, and would make it through
anyone who was filtering it.
--S.

Which newsreader does this?

Well, mine, for one. (I think it's Windows Mail.) Do you notice that in my
original reply the OT was no longer there? there are several other replies
that do not have the OT before the colon.
--S.

Dan L[_2_] 22-10-2010 02:07 PM

Call for discussion on subjects that should be labelled OT

"Suzanne D." wrote:
"phorbin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"phorbin" wrote in message

Thoughts or additions anyone?

I would suggest that instead of putting OT: people just put OT
without the
colon, as some news readers strip anything before the colon when
replying.
So the "OT" would not show up in some replies, and would make it
through to
anyone who was filtering it.
--S.

Which newsreader does this?

Well, mine, for one. (I think it's Windows Mail.) Do you notice that
in my original reply the OT was no longer there? there are several
other replies that do not have the OT before the colon.
--S.

I was wondering why I would see a separation of threads. Now I know!
Microsoft and their crappy software. Glad i have a Mac. OT without the
colon then.

Does your mail program also remove the colons from RE and FW's from
eMails as also?

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

phorbin 22-10-2010 03:41 PM

phorbin wrote:

Which newsreader does this?

IIRC, something of Micro$loth's, and only at the beginning of the message
body. It's a bug they acknowledge but don't care to fix.

I've never used Microsoft anything for accessing USENET except to test
it and that was a very long time ago. It seemed too rudimentary a
utility.

I never looked back.