GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Experiment results (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/194223-experiment-results.html)

[email protected] 26-10-2010 07:37 PM

Experiment results

In the spirit of 'nothing goes to waste' we were given a high end
juicer this Spring from some good friends who'd purchased a higher end
unit. After a working demonstration, complete with a glass of fresh
vegetable juice, and cleaning tricks, we deemed it worthy of a sacred
spot on our smallish kitchen counter top. Not an easy feat!

Ultimately we decided on a method to this newfound madness. At the
end of the week we'd feed whatever is left in the vegetable crisper
and/or tuber drawer to the juicer. The fruit department was also fair
game. The juice was then poured into ice cube trays and frozen. Then
put inside labeled & dated zip lock freezer bags.

After a couple of weeks into this new routine, we fine tuned it some.
Decided on three base liquids to add the fresh juice to prior to
freezing; chicken, beef, and tomato. We use bullion for the chicken
and beef broth bases and V-8 for the tomato. We've since added a cup
of whatever fruit juice is handy for the fruit cubes.

I must say that adding these veggie cubes to sauces, soups, stews,
gravy and even drinks is a huge hit in our humble abode. Ditto with
the fruit cubes! Besides all of the obvious goodness this provides,
the best is that every batch is a little different. After all,
variety is the spice of life. Even just a couple of veggie cubes can
turn a bland can of tomato soup into a taste treat. Two thumbs up!!

Newb

Bill who putters 26-10-2010 08:04 PM

Experiment results

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Great I hope you have the same spirit all your life. Pass it on !

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...l-supplements/