GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Carrot bed question. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/194854-carrot-bed-question.html)

DogDiesel 15-12-2010 01:35 PM

Carrot bed question.

I got the Johnies catalog. What a good catalog. And I see they sell
burdock, Which I buy quite a bit of. Its difficult to find. Their growing
suggestion is to grow them in deep carrot soil. Or a raised bed to make
harvesting easier.

What is deep carrot soil. ?? Does it mean I have to dig a pit and fill it
with soil.

phorbin 15-12-2010 01:44 PM

Carrot bed question.

In article ,
says...
I got the Johnies catalog. What a good catalog. And I see they sell
burdock, Which I buy quite a bit of. Its difficult to find. Their growing
suggestion is to grow them in deep carrot soil. Or a raised bed to make
harvesting easier.

What is deep carrot soil. ?? Does it mean I have to dig a pit and fill it
with soil.

Just curious but which variety of burdock do you buy?

Standard Arctium Lappa or Gobo?

phorbin 15-12-2010 02:47 PM

Carrot bed question.

In article , phorbin1
@yahoo.com says...
In article ,
says...
I got the Johnies catalog. What a good catalog. And I see they sell
burdock, Which I buy quite a bit of. Its difficult to find. Their growing
suggestion is to grow them in deep carrot soil. Or a raised bed to make
harvesting easier.

What is deep carrot soil. ?? Does it mean I have to dig a pit and fill it
with soil.

Just curious but which variety of burdock do you buy?

Standard Arctium Lappa or Gobo?

That is, Gobo, Arctium Lappa (Takinogawa Long) for instance.

http://www.richters.com/Web_store/we...?product=X8370
&show=&prodclass=Herb_and_Vegetable_Seeds&cart_id= 3687380.13718

Wilson[_5_] 15-12-2010 03:00 PM

Carrot bed question.

On 12/15/10 8:35 AM, sometime in the recent past DogDiesel posted this:
I got the Johnies catalog. What a good catalog. And I see they sell
burdock, Which I buy quite a bit of. Its difficult to find. Their growing
suggestion is to grow them in deep carrot soil. Or a raised bed to make
harvesting easier.

What is deep carrot soil. ?? Does it mean I have to dig a pit and fill it
with soil.

I just looked at Phorbin's link and it strikes me funny that seeds and young
plants are actually sold. Not that anyone would want them, that I can see,
but they are hardy from zones 2 through 10, they are a bane to anyone with a
long-haired dog or cat. Where do you live that you can't locate some wild
ones to collect seeds from? When my dog brings the burrs (seeds) home, I put
them in the fire so they won't grow in my yard. lol Reminds me of when I was
a kid and we would take our Irish Setter pheasant hunting in NJ, USA - that
poor dog would come home with a pound of burrs stuck in it's hair and I'd
spend hours grooming him after. Good luck.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Dan L[_2_] 15-12-2010 03:45 PM

Carrot bed question.

Wilson wrote:
[...]

I have a raised bed that is 10 inches above ground and another 10 inches
of loose soil below it, for a total of twenty inches. I grow 8 inch long
kuroda carrots. The roots go deep for carrots. I also plant the seeds
directly into the ground. I have never had success with seed kits
indoors with carrots, but great success with direct seed in the ground.
What's Up Doc?

phorbin 15-12-2010 04:10 PM

Carrot bed question.

In article ,
says...

I just looked at Phorbin's link and it strikes me funny that seeds and young
plants are actually sold. Not that anyone would want them, that I can see,
but they are hardy from zones 2 through 10, they are a bane to anyone with a
long-haired dog or cat. Where do you live that you can't locate some wild
ones to collect seeds from? When my dog brings the burrs (seeds) home, I put
them in the fire so they won't grow in my yard. lol Reminds me of when I was
a kid and we would take our Irish Setter pheasant hunting in NJ, USA - that
poor dog would come home with a pound of burrs stuck in it's hair and I'd
spend hours grooming him after. Good luck.

....Hours of grooming eh. Maybe your dog goes looking for burdock.

It doesn't show up often here in the city here.

Bill who putters 15-12-2010 06:04 PM

Carrot bed question.

In article ,
says...

a kid and we would take our Irish Setter pheasant hunting in NJ, USA - that
poor dog would come home with a pound of burrs stuck in it's hair and I'd
spend hours grooming him after. Good luck.

In S jersey the burrs are rare so are pheasants. Our pheasants are
stocked and stupid. We hunted over by the Philadelphia airport in the
"Meadows 50 years ago where smart pheasants reproduced. Challenging .
Only 50 miles away but soil and cover does matter. Once saw a TV
program deaing with pheasant hunting in Dakotas which was unbelievable.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."
--Mark Twain.

Wilson[_5_] 15-12-2010 06:24 PM

Carrot bed question.

On 12/15/10 1:04 PM, sometime in the recent past Bill who putters posted this:
In ,
says...

a kid and we would take our Irish Setter pheasant hunting in NJ, USA - that
poor dog would come home with a pound of burrs stuck in it's hair and I'd
spend hours grooming him after. Good luck.

In S jersey the burrs are rare so are pheasants. Our pheasants are
stocked and stupid. We hunted over by the Philadelphia airport in the
"Meadows 50 years ago where smart pheasants reproduced. Challenging .
Only 50 miles away but soil and cover does matter. Once saw a TV
program deaing with pheasant hunting in Dakotas which was unbelievable.

We used to hunt in an area called Round Valley, I believe. We'd hunt to
train the dog and I don't think there was a burdock he didn't find and then
attach to his coat. In later years, we'd go more to north Jersey, Morris &
Sussex Cty.

I'd be careful planting anything with a 40" taproot unless you have a
backhoe at your disposal. :)

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

DogDiesel 15-12-2010 09:53 PM

Carrot bed question.

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
I got the Johnies catalog. What a good catalog. And I see they sell
burdock, Which I buy quite a bit of. Its difficult to find. Their
growing
suggestion is to grow them in deep carrot soil. Or a raised bed to make
harvesting easier.

What is deep carrot soil. ?? Does it mean I have to dig a pit and fill
it
with soil.

Just curious but which variety of burdock do you buy?

I cant answer that until i go bacvk to Chinatown. . i just threw some
packaged away. I have ordered dried from an asian store , And i go to China
town to get packaged , flavored burdock, Sorry.

Standard Arctium Lappa or Gobo?

FarmI 15-12-2010 11:56 PM

Carrot bed question.

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
I got the Johnies catalog. What a good catalog. And I see they sell
burdock, Which I buy quite a bit of. Its difficult to find. Their
growing suggestion is to grow them in deep carrot soil. Or a raised bed
to make harvesting easier.

What is deep carrot soil. ?? Does it mean I have to dig a pit and fill
it with soil.

No. It means that you need deep soil (unless you are growing Chatennay type
carrots) and soil that has not had lots of recent fertilizing (because of
forking). You may be impressed by that catalogue but I wouldn't be based on
that description of the soil needs of carrots.