Old 02-01-2011, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default grafted tomatoes

Just got the Territorial seed catalog. They are offering grafted tomato
plants! Supposedly the more vigorous rootstock "enables more effective
uptake of water and nutrients, and increases plants' resistance to pests
or disease and tolerance to temperature extremes and drought".

One plant costs more than a couple of seed packets of tomatoes, so my
frugal soul says "No way". Maybe I should request one for my March
birthday.

Rosemary
Old 02-01-2011, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dale Thompson wrote:

Just got the Territorial seed catalog. They are offering grafted tomato
plants!

I did some of my own last spring, using "Beaufort" rootstock seeds from
Johnny's. Did OK, but last year wasn't a bad blight season. If you're
doing your own grafting there is a learning curve. The smaller utility
knife from Home Depot works nicely....razor sharp, with break-away segments
when it gets dull.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Dale Thompson" wrote in message
Just got the Territorial seed catalog. They are offering grafted tomato
plants! Supposedly the more vigorous rootstock "enables more effective
uptake of water and nutrients, and increases plants' resistance to pests
or disease and tolerance to temperature extremes and drought".

I saw that too, and had to laugh. Seven bucks for a single tomato plant
that may or may not make it, and which will be dead in a few months anyway?
Seems like an awful lot of work for something that is so easy to grow
without all the help. A tree or bush--something that is supposed to last
and needs to have a good strong start--I can understand grafting for that.
But a vegetable plant? That's just overkill.
--S.

Old 30-01-2011, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"aluckyguess" wrote:

But a vegetable plant? That's just overkill.

It isn't overkill if it's the only you can get tomatoes...and you can graft
your own at considerably lower cost, though the rootstock is pricy.

Old 30-01-2011, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gary Woods wrote:

"aluckyguess" wrote:

But a vegetable plant? That's just overkill.

It isn't overkill if it's the only you can get tomatoes...and you can graft

^^
way
your own at considerably lower cost, though the rootstock is pricy.

Grafted Tomatoes JMS United Kingdom 5 12-03-2010 03:56 PM
Cherry top-grafted family tree Gyve Turquoise Edible Gardening 0 18-05-2003 09:44 AM
About grafted roses... Kim Roses 1 11-05-2003 04:32 AM
Ultimate size of a grafted Sapote tree. How-Hie Ling Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Ultimate size of a grafted Sapote tree. How-Hie Ling Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:35 AM