GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato Wilt (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/195096-tomato-wilt.html)

[email protected] 02-01-2011 06:14 PM

Tomato Wilt

If it comes from bacteria in the soil how do you get it out? I have 2
raised beds 4 feet by 32 feet, have always rotated plants and have had
four years of no tomatoes. I am determined to fix this, and ideas?

MJ

George[_14_] 02-01-2011 10:11 PM

Tomato Wilt

wrote in message
If it comes from bacteria in the soil how do you get it out? I have 2
raised beds 4 feet by 32 feet, have always rotated plants and have had
four years of no tomatoes. I am determined to fix this, and ideas?

If you have soil issues:

one way is to replace all the soil

another is to fumigate your soil - there are products on the market for this
(my neighbour annually fumingated his soil in greenhouse with a Bayer
product)

solarise your garden beds over summer using black plastic and moisture

I immediately plant garlic and shallots in the gardens where I have grown
tomatos. These bulbs, according to various literature, have soil cleaning
properties. I cannot make any guarantee about success however you may like
to consider this option and test it. Perhaps a couple of seasons of garlic &
onions and then try tomatos again, maybe solarise theb garden beds first.

rob

DogDiesel 22-01-2011 10:04 AM

Tomato Wilt

"George" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

What if I just take a big bottle of diced garlic and spread it around out
there.

Billy[_10_] 22-01-2011 06:44 PM

Tomato Wilt

In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

"George" wrote in message

wrote in message
If it comes from bacteria in the soil how do you get it out?

It's a mold (fungi).

[...]

I doubt it would work on fungi, but if you have nematode problems it may
help.

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2009/1...ia-growers-add
-hot-mustard.html
Mid-Columbia growers add hot mustard to fields
--
- Billy
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²