Old 04-01-2011, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Sowing "isabgol" (Plantago ovata)

Are there any books, websites or journals where one
can find information on germinating/growing plants?

In particular, I have Plantago ovata ("isabgol") seeds
but haven't been able to find much information on
when/how to sow the seeds. I've tried direct sowing
and in a small seedling tray at the start of Victorian
summer (in Australia), but haven't achieved any success.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . com,
Ankur wrote:

Are there any books, websites or journals where one
can find information on germinating/growing plants?

In particular, I have Plantago ovata ("isabgol") seeds
but haven't been able to find much information on
when/how to sow the seeds. I've tried direct sowing
and in a small seedling tray at the start of Victorian
summer (in Australia), but haven't achieved any success.

I've germinated them, and got them up to 6" tall but they haven't done
well in my garden, under trees, on the north side of a hill.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/psyllium.html
P. ovata is a 119 to 130 day crop that responds well to cool, dry
weather.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/psyllium.html

Thanks, that looks like a great resource.

* Billy
I've germinated them, and got them up to 6" tall but they haven't done
well in my garden, under trees, on the north side of a hill.

I may have some difficulty as well since the climate here differs
slightly from the ideal, but I'll give it another try.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 00:01:05 +0000, Ankur wrote:

Are there any books, websites or journals where one can find information
on germinating/growing plants?

In particular, I have Plantago ovata ("isabgol") seeds but haven't been
able to find much information on when/how to sow the seeds. I've tried
direct sowing and in a small seedling tray at the start of Victorian
summer (in Australia), but haven't achieved any success.

Just curious, why would you want to grow your own laxatives? I don't see
the advantage of home grow psyllium. I could see having a plum tree and
making your own prunes, prunes are tasty, but making your own Metamucil
seems like a waste of time. What am I missing? Does isabgol have some
other use?

Old 04-01-2011, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 00:01:05 +0000, Ankur wrote:

Are there any books, websites or journals where one can find
information on germinating/growing plants?

In particular, I have Plantago ovata ("isabgol") seeds but haven't
been able to find much information on when/how to sow the seeds.
I've tried direct sowing and in a small seedling tray at the start
of Victorian summer (in Australia), but haven't achieved any success.

Just curious, why would you want to grow your own laxatives? I don't
see the advantage of home grow psyllium. I could see having a plum
tree and making your own prunes, prunes are tasty, but making your
own Metamucil seems like a waste of time. What am I missing? Does
isabgol have some other use?

As a food additive, it is used as a gum which changes (they say improves)
the texture of factory prepared food-like substances. Perhaps there is a
market for it in Vic.

David

Old 05-01-2011, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

* General Schvantzkoph
Just curious, why would you want to grow your own laxatives?

The husk is just fibre, which does have a laxative effect, but
fibre also lowers cholesterol reabsorption.

I know people who eat psyllium husk regularly, and I'd like to try
eating the seed. It could also be useful as a thickener (eg. in soups).

But mostly I'm interested because it's an edible plant
which there is a small chance of growing - it'll be good
for biodiversity even if it doesn't produce much.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 23:23:22 +0000, Ankur wrote:

* General Schvantzkoph
Just curious, why would you want to grow your own laxatives?

The husk is just fibre, which does have a laxative effect, but fibre
also lowers cholesterol reabsorption.

I know people who eat psyllium husk regularly, and I'd like to try
eating the seed. It could also be useful as a thickener (eg. in soups).

But mostly I'm interested because it's an edible plant which there is a
small chance of growing - it'll be good for biodiversity even if it
doesn't produce much.

So your basically giving the George Mallory answer, "because it's there".
Fair enough.