Old 20-01-2011, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default zone 5, what to do with south side house?

The south side of our house is the exterior wall of our garage.
There are no windows, and the edge of the property line is too close to
put a lean to greenhouse or anything like that on there. Last year I
tried establishing a blueberry hedge up pretty close to the house there.
I used peat, coffee grounds, a small amount of aluminum sulfate mixed
in to the soil, plus a slow release acidifier. (soil is rather alkaline
here) I tried watering every day, but there was simply no rain for a
couple of months, and it was so hot and dry. Only 1 or 2 plants made it
out of 6 or 7. I am going to take the healthiest plant and put it in a
pot. This is actually the first time I've tried growing blueberries and
had one live more than 6 months. However, I think that spot would be
better used for something else.

Can anyone suggest something that is heat and light loving, which
could be productive in such a spot? It will essentially get direct
sunlight all day long, and the spot can really concentrate heat from the
sun in spring and fall. Thanks!
Old 20-01-2011, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Una Una is offline

Ohioguy wrote:
The south side of our house is the exterior wall of our garage.

[...]
Can anyone suggest something that is heat and light loving, which
could be productive in such a spot?

Grape vine. Root it near a water downspout off the roof, and train it
across the wall.

Una

Old 20-01-2011, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Okra.
It loves heat. Once they start producing you will probably have to harvest
every day. 5 or 6 plants will likely produce more than you can eat.

Old 20-01-2011, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Thos" wrote:
Okra.
It loves heat. Once they start producing you will probably have to harvest
every day. 5 or 6 plants will likely produce more than you can eat.

Okra for zone 5 ?

I remember going to Disney World in March. It was sixty five degrees, I am
from Michigan, I wore long pants with a long sleeve shirt no coat. The
person in front was from Florida he wore a light jacket. The person behind
me wore shorts and a tank top and was sweating, he was from Alaska. Ones
heat is another's chill.

Perhaps a variety of herbal plants. Rosemary, thyme, mint (put a hollow
bottom bucket in the ground for mint. Herbs can act like weeds if not
watchful. Camomile?

Old 20-01-2011, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 16:37:11 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
wrote:

"Thos" wrote:
Okra.
It loves heat. Once they start producing you will probably have to harvest
every day. 5 or 6 plants will likely produce more than you can eat.

Okra for zone 5 ?

I'm in a warm zone 5 [NY] & never had any luck with Okra. Maybe
one or two pods per plant. Just enough to remind me what I was
missing out on. OTOH- I wasn't planting along the hot side of a
building.

My house is mostly shaded on the south so I have Hostas & such on that
side.

-snip-

Perhaps a variety of herbal plants. Rosemary, thyme, mint (put a hollow
bottom bucket in the ground for mint. Herbs can act like weeds if not
watchful. Camomile?

If I were the OP I'd stick with fruits- maybe plant the herbs amongst
them as they grow.

Blueberries, cherries, . . . peaches . . . Almond trees are gorgeous
in the spring and feed the squirrels in the fall. [mine did- I used to
get a quart of nuts- the squirrels got a bushel]

South side is a lot easier than the north side.

Jim

Old 20-01-2011, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nad R wrote:
"Thos" wrote:

Okra.
It loves heat. Once they start producing you will probably have to harvest
every day. 5 or 6 plants will likely produce more than you can eat.

Okra for zone 5 ?

Since the location is hot and dry there's some sense in putting annuals
for a higher zone number there. Since the location is subject to snow
that approach won't work all that well with perrenials. It becomes a
little like a hot house in the summer yet like a freezer in the winter.

I solved a similar issue in Chicago metro by planting bushes and bulb
forming plants. Hostas (already mentioned in another post) and day
lillies did fine. Not edible so not sure how that works for
rec.gardens.edible. Hostas aren't actually bulb formers but close
enough.

Perhaps a variety of herbal plants. Rosemary, thyme, mint (put a hollow
bottom bucket in the ground for mint. Herbs can act like weeds if not
watchful. Camomile?

I like to grow herbs in pots on the deck. They grow great. Most don't
survive the winter. So far I've never gotten a rosemary to make it
through the Chicago winter. I have transfered plenty of herbs from the
pots on the deck to the southern edge of my back yard. The thyme and
the tarragon are the only ones that survived across the winter so far.
The thyme lasted two years before it got overwhelmed by the size of the
tarragon.
Old 20-01-2011, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Doug Freyburger wrote:
Nad R wrote:
"Thos" wrote:

[...]

It was a thought that the garage might offer some protection for the
Rosemary. I too have been unsuccessful at growing Rosemary. Herbs can get
away from you

Would that be the "French" Tarragon via cutting?
Or the Russian Tarragon via seed?

Old 20-01-2011, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nad R wrote:
Doug Freyburger wrote:

I like to grow herbs in pots on the deck. They grow great. Most don't
survive the winter. So far I've never gotten a rosemary to make it
through the Chicago winter. I have transfered plenty of herbs from the
pots on the deck to the southern edge of my back yard. The thyme and
the tarragon are the only ones that survived across the winter so far.
The thyme lasted two years before it got overwhelmed by the size of the
tarragon.

It was a thought that the garage might offer some protection for the
Rosemary. I too have been unsuccessful at growing Rosemary. Herbs can get
away from you

I get a little rosemary plant each spring since we moved to (zone 5)
Chicago metro. They get pretty big by the first snow. Then they croak.
Each year I try to trim it back and keep it on the deck out of the snow
but some storm tips it over and spills it out.

Would that be the "French" Tarragon via cutting?
Or the Russian Tarragon via seed?

I'm not sure which type of tarragon it was that has done so well out in
the back yard with the hostas. Home Depot bred tarragon. Draws bees
like crazy late in the season when it's in flower.
Old 20-01-2011, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Doug Freyburger wrote:

Nad R wrote:
Doug Freyburger wrote:

[...]

Here is a hardy rosemary good to zone 6.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7367161_har...ry-plants.html

I've lost quite a few here in zone 5 but wall of water can keep it
alive if the moles/voles miss them. One is perking along right now.
One of 4 planted 2 years ago.

OP may want to look into.

South side solar gain maybe trapped. Look into "passive solar designs".

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Old 21-01-2011, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nad R wrote:

Would that be the "French" Tarragon via cutting?
Or the Russian Tarragon via seed?

I find French tarragon too fiddly, it likes excellent drainage and in my
hands it dies at the drop of a hat. I don't think my climate (hot often
damp summer) and soil (heavy) are suitable. If your climate and soil are
more mediterranean it may be easier to grow. Russian tarragon grows more
easily but has little flavour.

I find a good compromise is winter tarragon (Tagetes lucinda). The flavour
is nearly as good as French and it is much easier to grow. I don't know why
it is called "winter" tarragon as it dies down in winter but reliably
re-shoots from the roots in spring. You can harvest it fresh from spring to
autumn and dry a bunch picked before the first frost in autumn.

David

Old 21-01-2011, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Nad R wrote:

Would that be the "French" Tarragon via cutting?
Or the Russian Tarragon via seed?

I find French tarragon too fiddly, it likes excellent drainage and in my
hands it dies at the drop of a hat. I don't think my climate (hot often
damp summer) and soil (heavy) are suitable. If your climate and soil are
more mediterranean it may be easier to grow. Russian tarragon grows more
easily but has little flavour.

I find a good compromise is winter tarragon (Tagetes lucinda). The flavour
is nearly as good as French and it is much easier to grow. I don't know why
it is called "winter" tarragon as it dies down in winter but reliably
re-shoots from the roots in spring. You can harvest it fresh from spring to
autumn and dry a bunch picked before the first frost in autumn.

David

Thought you were a zone 9, which is about as Mediterranean as there is.
--
- Billy
“When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.”
Old 21-01-2011, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Nad R wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I will look into that winter tarragon, spring is still a dream
Old 21-01-2011, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Nad R wrote:

[...]

Yes I am about 9b according to minimum winter temperature. I can have rain
all year round (not mainly in winter) but it tends to fall in concentrated
bursts which can lead to waterlogging also summer can be very humid (like
now). Many herbs from round the Med like lighter better draining soils. To
grow rosemary I have to put it in a pot or the roots rot in any wet spell.

cold frames up against south side garage Ohioguy Edible Gardening 3 12-02-2010 06:17 PM
Flowers: side by side mea305 Gardening 1 10-01-2007 03:23 PM
on the south east facing side of a house joe United Kingdom 0 17-05-2004 04:27 PM
south side of a solo tree in open field is the best side Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 2 15-05-2003 03:20 PM
North side of house Allview Gardening 8 06-02-2003 07:53 AM