GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Compost box is setup. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/195330-compost-box-setup.html)

DogDiesel 23-01-2011 02:57 AM

Compost box is setup.

I set up my compost box. But I discovered something interesting. A lot of
the leaves and grass I put in Contractor garbage bags last summer and fall
were composting already. In the bags. They got a lot of water in them
from the rain. And the centers were barely warm, but the bottom water had
froze. There was a bit of stink.

Makes me think I could compost in garbage bags easily. Right from my lawn
mower. And save money on compost bins.

Diesel.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 24-01-2011 01:10 AM

Compost box is setup.

DogDiesel wrote:
I set up my compost box. But I discovered something interesting. A
lot of the leaves and grass I put in Contractor garbage bags last
summer and fall were composting already. In the bags. They got a
lot of water in them from the rain. And the centers were barely warm,
but the bottom water had froze. There was a bit of stink.

Makes me think I could compost in garbage bags easily. Right from my
lawn mower. And save money on compost bins.

Diesel.

One reason to have a cage is to allow air in, this helps the aerobic
microbes do their work. Using a bag or other closed container will
encourage anaerobic bugs which are the ones that smell particularly bad.

David