Old 25-01-2011, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gz Gz is offline

Default Snipping

I planted my pepper seeds last night. Set up some lamps. The seed
man suggests that you snip off the early leaves. I never did that and
not sure if I should. I got peppers from Ghost to Jalapeno.

I should also heat up my dirt.

On the final growing season, it has been found that the root
temperature is highly influential on hotness level.

greg
Old 25-01-2011, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gz wrote:
I planted my pepper seeds last night. Set up some lamps. The seed
man suggests that you snip off the early leaves. I never did that and
not sure if I should. I got peppers from Ghost to Jalapeno.

I should also heat up my dirt.

On the final growing season, it has been found that the root
temperature is highly influential on hotness level.

greg

Hmmm... I usually wait until at least four or six true leaves on any plant
show before any snipping and then it is only the bottom two leaves that
will be in the way of transplanting my seedlings. It sorta goes like this
for me. I first start with two inch pots, snip, transplant to three inch
pots, snip, transplant to five inch pots, snip, then outside for rest of
time. Also other leaves start to look bad... Snip. If the whole plant looks
bad I rip the plant out. If the whole tray looks bad I start to cuss and
kick over the trays onto the floor and growl

Peppers are slow to germinate and slow to grow. I do not use heat pads,
however I do put my plants over my floor heat registers. I myself prefer
the sweet peppers.

Old 25-01-2011, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Gz wrote:

I planted my pepper seeds last night. Set up some lamps. The seed
man suggests that you snip off the early leaves. I never did that and
not sure if I should. I got peppers from Ghost to Jalapeno.

I should also heat up my dirt.

80F - 85F for germinating.

On the final growing season,

Huh?

--
- Billy
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
Old 26-01-2011, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gz Gz is offline

On Jan 25, 2:47*pm, Nad R wrote:
Gz wrote:
[...]

Enjoy Life... Nad R *(Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

I might add a heat lamp. I was trying to explain the little message
note I
received with my seeds from Pepper Joe. What I read, as cut off the
first leaves.
Then cut off the weaklings to let the better plants grow, in a batch.

greg
Old 26-01-2011, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gz wrote:
On Jan 25, 2:47 pm, Nad R wrote:
Gz wrote:
[...]

Hmmm... It is the soil that needs the warmth more than the leaves for seed
starting. Heat lamps may not supply the light spectrum that plants need in
which the grow lights provide. A cheap $20 T-5 grow light would work for
pepper seedlings.

I use a wire self rack over a floor heat register to my trays on. Electric
heating pads might also use a lot less power than a heat lamp.

Old 26-01-2011, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gz Gz is offline

On Jan 26, 12:08*pm, Nad R wrote:
Gz wrote:
On Jan 25, 2:47 pm, Nad R wrote:
Gz wrote:
[...]

Heat lamps can be small in wattage compared to pads, but most of the
heat goes
up in the air.

I use regular CFL's for light, and use the daylight spectrum.
They work well. I use a reflector on them. Clamp on types.

Previously I grew things in the other house near the south dinning
room area.
All sunlight. I also used to sun dry my peppers there.

greg

Snipping JennyC United Kingdom 13 27-08-2007 01:44 PM
Scape-snipping time! Gary Woods Edible Gardening 2 20-06-2005 02:22 AM
Scape-snipping time in olde New York Gary Woods Edible Gardening 2 18-06-2004 09:03 PM