Old 29-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Registered User

Default Where to buy the best seeds???

Anyone know of any online sites from anywhere in the world that sell high quality seeds and have a really good reputation as being one of the best in the world?

Price isnt really an issue...I guess

What I'm looking for is seeds for fruits and vegetables like Oranges, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, etc. that sort of thing

I'm not a gardener myself, I want to buy them for my parents

Yea so I'm looking for a place that offers some of the best seeds in the world, can anyone recommend?
Old 29-03-2009, 12:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Spaade wrote:
Anyone know of any online sites from anywhere in the world that sell
high quality seeds and have a really good reputation as being one of
the best in the world?

Not a good idea overall, get the best local seeds

Price isnt really an issue...I guess

What I'm looking for is seeds for fruits and vegetables like Oranges,
Tomatoes, Cucumbers, etc. that sort of thing

You don't grow oranges from seed as they have grafted root stock.

I'm not a gardener myself, I want to buy them for my parents

Talk to them about what they want and can grow in their garden, no point in
getting stuff that is not suitable, there are many reasons why it might not
be.

Yea so I'm looking for a place that offers some of the best seeds in
the world, can anyone recommend?

The "best" is not important in comparison to what is suitable, available and
legally transportable.

David

Old 29-03-2009, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Spaade wrote:
Anyone know of any online sites from anywhere in the world that sell
high quality seeds and have a really good reputation as being one of
the best in the world?

Price isnt really an issue...I guess

What I'm looking for is seeds for fruits and vegetables like Oranges,
Tomatoes, Cucumbers, etc. that sort of thing

I'm not a gardener myself, I want to buy them for my parents

Yea so I'm looking for a place that offers some of the best seeds in
the world, can anyone recommend?

Where are you located?

Old 29-03-2009, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 21:36:24 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Spaade wrote:
[...]

David is correct.

First thing is to find out if your parents want a garden. Are you
planning to start it and keep it up? You don't just stick seeds in
the ground and to pick fruits and vegetables. There is lots of upkeep
needed. Are they willing and able to do the work? How much space is
available for a garden?

Next go to a reputable nursery in your area and see what is available.
Local nurseries do not usually stock things that do not grow well in
their area. When to plant and how long until maturity is also
necessary information. Where I live there is no way I can have greens
and tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers fresh at the same time.

From the list of what grows you can make a decision about what to
plant and how many. Do you want just enough to eat in season or do
you want enough to preserve? Make sure you check each plant to see
how much room it needs. Compare this information with the space
available for the garden.
--
Susan N.

Old 15-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Registered User

Hi

whilst it is probably true about buying locally.

If this isnt an option for what ever reason, I have had very good experiences with

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/

almost all my chilli, tomato and other veg seeds have germinated and are doing well.

Old 15-04-2009, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default minimum pot size for chili plants

In article ,
bigmike20vt wrote:

Hi

my 1st post, maybe of many

i have 50 chilli plants.

various variaties - 7 different types - 8 including my sweet peppers.

now last year i used pretty big pots for each plant, however with so
many this year (for jams and chuckneys) i need to know the minimum pot
size i can get away with for average sized chilli plants so as not to
hold them back too much.

am hoping 3ltr pots will do it, but smaller would be good if poss... i
used 6 liter pots last year but i just do not have room for 50 of
them!, and the compost would cost a fortune.

thanks for any advice. am wondering if i could use small tomato
growbags at a push, maybe 4 plants in each one.

cheers
M.

The size of your plant will depend on the size of its' root system.
Smaller pots = smaller plants.
--

- Billy

Old 16-04-2009, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Billy wrote:
In article ,
bigmike20vt wrote:

[...]

Hello Mike,

I have been growing all my veggies in containers for a while now.
For the last few years I have had 24 pepper plants in six plastic
"window planters" that are 6" wide by about 3'long and 5 or 6" deep, 4
plants to the container. I grow jalapeño, cayenne, Ital hots, and
habbies. I don't know about the size of the plants, but I am very
happy with their production.
Keep them watered and well fed, I think you may be surprised.
Good luck!

Tim
Old 16-04-2009, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"bigmike20vt" wrote in message

Hi

my 1st post, maybe of many

i have 50 chilli plants.

various variaties - 7 different types - 8 including my sweet peppers.

now last year i used pretty big pots for each plant, however with so
many this year (for jams and chuckneys) i need to know the minimum pot
size i can get away with for average sized chilli plants so as not to
hold them back too much.

am hoping 3ltr pots will do it, but smaller would be good if poss... i
used 6 liter pots last year but i just do not have room for 50 of
them!, and the compost would cost a fortune.

thanks for any advice. am wondering if i could use small tomato
growbags at a push, maybe 4 plants in each one.

cheers
M.

--
bigmike20vt

You're more likely to get a suitable response if you don't divulge the
specific species of peppers, number of plants per pot, and growing
environment you have. WTF is "sweet peppers", I'm a TX guy, jalapenos and
habeneros guy. Rarely, I use bell peppers in a stews that I make from time
to time. Can you educate me in wimpy Yankee "peppers" and why you grow
them, what you use them for?
--
Dave
Dependency on large banks is undermining your, your children's, and

Old 16-04-2009, 08:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

[...]

Dave has obviously never had a thick, grilled, red, bell pepper. The
last tough yahoo who wanted one of my habaneros, gobbled it down, barfed
it up, and went home sick. I don't have a recipe that calls for more
than a half of a habanero and that's for four people. I don't know what
to tell you, if you think that you have to suffer to be a real man.
Maybe your not a real man until you have your first heart attack?

You drinking again Dave, or are you a graduate of the Shelley School of
Charm?
--

- Billy

Old 16-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Registered User

Thanks everyone for the responses (tho it seems that they have gone on the wrong thread so sorry to the OP who was asking about buying the best seeds!).

to answer Dave, who i am sure drives a Chelsea Tractor to keep his man image intact as well

my chilis/peppers are as follows

Jalapeno purple
Habanero orange
habanero Caribbean red
Pepper De Arbol
Indian Fire Cracker
Hungarian Hot Wax
Scotch bonnet Red
Pepper (Capsicum) Fresno
Naga Morich
Anahiem TMR chillies
sweet pepper Bellboy F1

Old 16-04-2009, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
bigmike20vt wrote:

Thanks everyone for the responses (tho it seems that they have gone on
the wrong thread so sorry to the OP who was asking about buying the
best seeds!).

to answer Dave, who i am sure drives a Chelsea Tractor to keep his man
image intact as well

my chilis/peppers are as follows

Jalapeno purple
Habanero orange
habanero Caribbean red
Pepper De Arbol
Indian Fire Cracker
Hungarian Hot Wax
Scotch bonnet Red
Pepper (Capsicum) Fresno
Naga Morich
Anahiem TMR chillies
sweet pepper Bellboy F1

Man, you must hate mornings ;O)
--

- Billy

Old 16-04-2009, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

snip

Jalapeno purple
Habanero orange
habanero Caribbean red
Pepper De Arbol
Indian Fire Cracker
Hungarian Hot Wax
Scotch bonnet Red
Pepper (Capsicum) Fresno
Naga Morich
Anahiem TMR chillies
sweet pepper Bellboy F1

Man, you must hate mornings ;O)

LOL!!!! Really tho, I think heat is all relative. I don't know
about anyone else, but the flavor, along with a little bite is why
I grow my peppers. He does have a nice selection...I've never heard of
the Naga Morich, or the Caribbean habby, gonna have to look those up.
Makes me wish my garden center was better stocked!

btw--- I always thought the Scotch Bonnet and the habby were almost the
exact same pepper?

Tim
Old 16-04-2009, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Tim wrote:

[...]

Slightly different shape. Scotch Bonnet is a little shorter and plumper.
All of which is lost on your anal sphincter. Ice cream helps but melts,
if you sit on it for too long;O)
--

- Billy

Old 17-04-2009, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Charlie wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:40:27 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
bigmike20vt wrote:

Thanks everyone for the responses (tho it seems that they have gone on
the wrong thread so sorry to the OP who was asking about buying the
best seeds!).

to answer Dave, who i am sure drives a Chelsea Tractor to keep his man
image intact as well

my chilis/peppers are as follows

Jalapeno purple
Habanero orange
habanero Caribbean red
Pepper De Arbol
Indian Fire Cracker
Hungarian Hot Wax
Scotch bonnet Red
Pepper (Capsicum) Fresno
Naga Morich
Anahiem TMR chillies
sweet pepper Bellboy F1

Man, you must hate mornings ;O)

It's been said that a teaspoon of cayenne (or any hot pepper powder or
tincture) mixed in a glass of water and glugged down will stop or
mitigate a heart or brain attack.

It's also said that the same dosage thrice daily will promote
circulation and help in cases of arterial baddies. Good fer the colon
also, it's said.

Try it, tain't near as hot as one would imagine, though I'd suggest
stirring it in cold water.

Part of my daily downings. Next morning complaints are short lived.

Charlie

Now thats truly interesting, where did you learn that?
I eat raw garlic, said to have the same
effect, but I just like the taste. much to my wifes regret
Billy, do you really have that problem the next day? I never have...
Must be lucky.

hmmm...Its time...wine is good for you too, mix the cayenne with the
garlic, throw in some rose hips, an eye of newt, hair of toad...stir,
stir........

Tim

Old 17-04-2009, 04:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"bigmike20vt" wrote in message

Thanks everyone for the responses (tho it seems that they have gone on
the wrong thread so sorry to the OP who was asking about buying the
best seeds!).

to answer Dave, who i am sure drives a Chelsea Tractor to keep his man
image intact as well

my chilis/peppers are as follows

Jalapeno purple
Habanero orange
habanero Caribbean red
Pepper De Arbol
Indian Fire Cracker
Hungarian Hot Wax
Scotch bonnet Red
Pepper (Capsicum) Fresno
Naga Morich
Anahiem TMR chillies
sweet pepper Bellboy F1

--
bigmike20vt

Hell yes. You the man. Wish you didn't have to piggyback on Nancy's
response to respond to me though. Again, what is the sweetpepper thing and
what do you use it in?
--
Dave
April 16th, 2009 Day 1 post Tea Party.
This day in history occurred:
Nancy Pelosi response was undignified per her allegation that such are
funded by right wing money big money and attended exclusively by right wing
extremists.
White House staff indicated that officially not recognizing the nation-wide
gatherings in any fashion.
Some news reporters were found attempting to goad responses from attendees
at the gatherings with response not filling their (some news reporters) TV
political needs. Too bad for them.
Woebama in Mexico. 2nd amendment rights being pinged again. Ignoring
locking down the U.S/Mexico border again.
We thte people...
No political party or otherwise in that.
Locked signature to prevent subsequent historical revisionism.