Old 02-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Registered User

Cool Cuttings from Raspberries

I have two raspberry bushes in my back garden that grew from 99p cheapies from a Tesco sale. This was two years ago, first year didn't get much but second year they produced really well.

Trouble is they have now grown reaching some 6ft, above my small apple tree. The bushes are currently bare as its winter and I'm not sure what best to do? Can I cut these and plant for new bushes, just trim them back or trail these along the fence horizontally. I'm pretty new to growing anything and am so impressed they're still alive I'm going to make an effort to nurture them this year.

Any advice would be appreciated
Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Una Una is offline

Default Cuttings from Raspberries

Standard raspberries bear fruit on canes that are in their second year.
Everbearing rasperries bear fruit on canes that are in their first
year, then again the second year. After the second year, canes of both
types poop out.

For standard raspberries, you can now cut off at the ground all canes
that had fruit last summer. Leave all young canes. For everbearing
raspberries, optionally, cut off all canes. Probably your raspberries
are standard ones.

Una
Old 02-02-2011, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 15:52:35 +0000, Bozone
wrote:

I have two raspberry bushes in my back garden that grew from 99p
cheapies from a Tesco sale. This was two years ago, first year didn't
get much but second year they produced really well.

Trouble is they have now grown reaching some 6ft, above my small apple
tree. The bushes are currently bare as its winter and I'm not sure what
best to do? Can I cut these and plant for new bushes, just trim them
back or trail these along the fence horizontally.

Google 'tip layering'. If they aren't grafted, that should be the
easiest way to propagate them.

Jim
Old 03-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Registered User

Thanks very much for thid good speedy advice. I'll go out this weekend and cut them back.

Thats presuming the wind speed has dropped below 60 knots by then!

Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 07:15 AM
Asparagus and raspberries..will they coexist? Scott Edible Gardening 1 13-05-2003 12:56 PM
Blueberries and Raspberries Bob Lawns 0 27-04-2003 01:44 PM
Thorn-free raspberries? Minteeleaf Edible Gardening 2 14-02-2003 04:27 PM
How do I grow raspberries and blueberries? lcain Edible Gardening 5 11-02-2003 04:25 AM