GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   garage door repair (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/195458-garage-door-repair.html)

garage 03-02-2011 07:14 AM

garage door repair

Can I plant an edible garden where a preseved wood deck has been located?

Steve Peek 03-02-2011 03:30 PM

garage door repair

--
garage

Of course you can, but the real question is would you want to? Older treated
wood leached arsenic salts, sometimes in high concentrations. Many plants
can concentrate heavy metals (such as arsenic). Don't share your veggies
with me!
Steve

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds 03-02-2011 05:53 PM

garage door repair

In article ,
garage wrote:

Can I plant an edible garden where a preseved wood deck has been
located?

as long as you repair the hinges first

Gunner[_3_] 03-02-2011 08:40 PM

garage door repair

On Feb 2, 11:14*pm, garage wrote:
Can I plant an edible garden where a preseved wood deck has been
located?

--
garage

look up phytoremediation and plan for the out years
Break Fern is one plant that may help.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2335/
http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/whsuckitup.htm

boronia 04-02-2011 10:52 AM

The arsenic and formaldehyde will be in the soil for decades. I would plant something ornamental there for 4 or 5 years before I would chance it. Of course you could get a soil test to actually know what is there.