GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   seed starter mix (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/195604-seed-starter-mix.html)

villon 15-02-2011 03:30 PM

seed starter mix

I am new to starting seeds so I am wondering if anyone in the forum
has experience making their own seed starter mix, and if it has worked
out better than buying a pre-mixed substance. I thought perhaps if the
seedlings got a taste of the soil they will actually be growing in,
they might do better, so I am not necessarily trying to save money;
I'm only going to start 2 or 3 dozen plants anyway - mostly tomatoes
and peppers.
Chas

Billy[_10_] 15-02-2011 05:13 PM

seed starter mix

In article
,
villon wrote:

I am new to starting seeds so I am wondering if anyone in the forum
has experience making their own seed starter mix, and if it has worked
out better than buying a pre-mixed substance. I thought perhaps if the
seedlings got a taste of the soil they will actually be growing in,

What are you trying to say, when you say,"a taste of the soil"?

they might do better, so I am not necessarily trying to save money;
I'm only going to start 2 or 3 dozen plants anyway - mostly tomatoes
and peppers.
Chas

See thread in rec.gardens on "A question on planting seeds".
--
- Billy
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²

Gz 15-02-2011 07:10 PM

seed starter mix

On Feb 15, 10:30*am, villon wrote:
I am new to starting seeds so I am wondering if anyone in the forum
has experience making their own seed starter mix, and if it has worked
out better than buying a pre-mixed substance. I thought perhaps if the
seedlings got a taste of the soil they will actually be growing in,
they might do better, so I am not necessarily trying to save money;
I'm only going to start 2 or 3 dozen plants anyway - mostly tomatoes
and peppers.
Chas

I have thrown stuff together before and it worked. I tend to use those
fibrous holders and transfer the whole thing to the ground.
I am soaking some seeds in water right now seeing how fast that goes.
I'm still waiting for seeds to sprout in the basement, been over 4
weeks.
Too cold. i didn't soak the seeds as was recommended to me.

greg

Bill who putters 15-02-2011 07:55 PM

seed starter mix

In article
,
villon wrote:

I am new to starting seeds so I am wondering if anyone in the forum
has experience making their own seed starter mix, and if it has worked
out better than buying a pre-mixed substance. I thought perhaps if the
seedlings got a taste of the soil they will actually be growing in,
they might do better, so I am not necessarily trying to save money;
I'm only going to start 2 or 3 dozen plants anyway - mostly tomatoes
and peppers.
Chas

I just use sifted compost that was once hot.

http://tinyurl.com/48snvbf for other options gardening being an art.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Bill who putters 15-02-2011 09:29 PM

seed starter mix

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
villon wrote:

I am new to starting seeds so I am wondering if anyone in the forum
has experience making their own seed starter mix, and if it has worked
out better than buying a pre-mixed substance. I thought perhaps if the
seedlings got a taste of the soil they will actually be growing in,
they might do better, so I am not necessarily trying to save money;
I'm only going to start 2 or 3 dozen plants anyway - mostly tomatoes
and peppers.
Chas

I just use sifted compost that was once hot.

http://tinyurl.com/48snvbf for other options gardening being an art.

Like most things on the web the details are lacking such as bottom heat
or light questions another good reason to query here. Best I think is
finding a local that does it.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

villon 16-02-2011 02:38 PM

seed starter mix

On Feb 15, 12:13*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

*villon wrote:
I am new to starting seeds so I am wondering if anyone in the forum
has experience making their own seed starter mix, and if it has worked
out better than buying a pre-mixed substance. I thought perhaps if the
seedlings got a taste of the soil they will actually be growing in,

What are you trying to say, when you say,"a taste of the soil"?

they might do better, so I am not necessarily trying to save money;
I'm only going to start 2 or 3 dozen plants anyway - mostly tomatoes
and peppers.
Chas

See thread in rec.gardens on "A question on planting seeds".
--
- Billy
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camarahttp://peace.mennolink.org/articles/israelpeacegroups.htmlhttp://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/opinion/2011/01/2011181213096468...

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I didn't make myself clearer. What I
was thinking was to blend up my own seed starter mix using perhaps 1/4
to 1/2 garden soil along with screened sphagnum moss and vermiculite
or pearlite. My pseudo-logic being that the seedlings would be better
adapted to the soil that they will be transplanted into. I'll check
out the article you mentioned.
Chas