Old 20-03-2011, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default On Microclimates

http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/ar...roclimates.htm

or http://thurly.net/148z

Just some ideas on how to protect or enhance or inhibit plant growth.
In a way your home can save energy using similar info.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://uppitywis.org/ live WI

Old 20-03-2011, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

yes it all starts with knowing about and being able to identify the
aspects of the land, ie.,. northern hemi' ideal would be a southern
aspect around to eastern. add some knowledge of average weather
conditions eg.,. rainfall an you can have a producing garden in an
area that say gets more rain than other near by places.

then the right sort of house needs to be built for the climate area so
it is truely efficient to run. lots of stumbling block in there as
many have no idea to even look for aspect let alone what it is, and
outside the indoctrinated mcmansion designs very many won't look at
altenatives.

so when buying property use the head and not the heart, the heart can
come later, develop a criteria. the orientation of the house on the
property counts.

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 08:50:00 -0400, Bill who putters

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither
the day nor the hour wherein the Son
of man cometh"

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

and also: Isaiah 38:1&17-18 KJV

1: Thus saith the Lord, set thine house in order: for thou shalt die and not live.
17: for thou hast cast all my sins behind my back.
18: For the grave cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: they that go down in the pit cannot hope for truth.

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Seek truth and understanding will follow"

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 20-03-2011, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:
http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/ar...roclimates.htm

or http://thurly.net/148z

Just some ideas on how to protect or enhance or inhibit plant growth.
In a way your home can save energy using similar info.

Some good basic information there but as is so often the case the author
fails the international community by not considering which hemisphere the
garden is in.

David

Old 21-03-2011, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

gardenlen wrote:
yes it all starts with knowing about and being able to identify the
aspects of the land, ie.,. northern hemi' ideal would be a southern
aspect around to eastern. add some knowledge of average weather
conditions eg.,. rainfall an you can have a producing garden in an
area that say gets more rain than other near by places.

then the right sort of house needs to be built for the climate area so
it is truely efficient to run. lots of stumbling block in there as
many have no idea to even look for aspect let alone what it is, and
outside the indoctrinated mcmansion designs very many won't look at
altenatives.

so when buying property use the head and not the heart, the heart can
come later, develop a criteria. the orientation of the house on the
property counts.

Quite right Len. So many houses, even newly erected, contain basic errors
that could easily be avoided. For example, they are oriented towards the
street or the view not the sun, or in hot climates they have unshaded
sunward windows. I know of people who are saving money by not including
insulation but they worry whether the portico should have Ionic or
Corinthian columns, of course they plan for aircon to deal with their design
errors. Such carelessness and ignorance will come back and bite them and
their heirs and successors.

Something else to consider is using the garden to improve the house. It is
common for people to assume that this means only the aspect and decorating
concepts such as linking the outdoors into the house. The plants that you
grow can do all that as well as improving the thermal performance of the
house. For example you can shade a sun-facing window in summer but allow in
the sun in winter by having a trellis with a deciduous vine over it.

David

Old 21-03-2011, 06:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/ar...roclimates.htm

or http://thurly.net/148z

Just some ideas on how to protect or enhance or inhibit plant growth.
In a way your home can save energy using similar info.

Some good basic information there but as is so often the case the author
fails the international community by not considering which hemisphere the
garden is in.

David

Having a bad day?
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_vN0--mHug

Old 21-03-2011, 08:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/ar...roclimates.htm

or http://thurly.net/148z

Just some ideas on how to protect or enhance or inhibit plant
growth. In a way your home can save energy using similar info.

Some good basic information there but as is so often the case the
author fails the international community by not considering which
hemisphere the garden is in.

David

Having a bad day?

There are cases where hemisphere is not important but not this time. It's a
fairly fundamental error in the context of microclimates. Unless you
already understand what is going on and are used to making the switch the
article in question is going to be misleading. Either the author doesn't
get this herself or she is being parochial and only addressing the northern
hemisphere.

David

Old 21-03-2011, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:06:30 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

gardenlen wrote:
[...]

I admit that we got the best orientation when we bought this house.
But it was luck. The house faces the west and we have two very large
Oak trees in the front yard. The deck is on the back and gets the
morning sun. By late afternoon the deck is completely shaded and
comfortable unless the day is extremely hot. We got one of the
sunshade awnings and roll it out early in the day to keep the heat out
of the kitchen and family room.

If I were looking for a building lot I would be checking out the
orientation and prevailing winds. Then see if I could build the kind
of house and orientation I wanted there. If I were planning to garden
I would also think about orientation & winds.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 21-03-2011, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

gardenlen wrote:
[...]

You may have got the best aspect for your deck but not for the overall
thermal performance of the house. In temperate zones the best aspect is
that the long sides of the house face north and south. In your climate you
would be missing out on getting winter sun into the house which will add to
your heating bills.

If I were looking for a building lot I would be checking out the
orientation and prevailing winds. Then see if I could build the kind
of house and orientation I wanted there. If I were planning to garden
I would also think about orientation & winds.

Certainly.

David

Old 22-03-2011, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Bill who putters wrote:
http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/ar...roclimates.htm

or http://thurly.net/148z

Just some ideas on how to protect or enhance or inhibit plant growth.
In a way your home can save energy using similar info.

Some good basic information there but as is so often the case the author
fails the international community by not considering which hemisphere the
garden is in.

LOL. As a result of wandering round the Net, I've become convinced that
Geography is either ineffectively taught, or not taught at all in USian
schools.

Old 22-03-2011, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:
http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/ar...roclimates.htm

or http://thurly.net/148z

Just some ideas on how to protect or enhance or inhibit plant growth.
In a way your home can save energy using similar info.

Some good basic information there but as is so often the case the author
fails the international community by not considering which hemisphere the
garden is in.

David

Having a bad day?

So much for critical analysis...............

Old 22-03-2011, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:

LOL. As a result of wandering round the Net, I've become convinced that
Geography is either ineffectively taught, or not taught at all in USian
schools.

I vote for taught but completely forgotten after the test by the
majority of students. Consider the TV show "Are you smarter than a
fifth grader?" to see how much most forget.

How much school stuff should be retained? Vastly more than is by most.
How much effort should be spent at imporoving the median retention? I
have no idea. I remember enough of the material that I am amazed at
what folks don't know.
Old 23-03-2011, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Doug Freyburger wrote:
FarmI wrote:

LOL. As a result of wandering round the Net, I've become convinced
that Geography is either ineffectively taught, or not taught at all
in USian schools.

I vote for taught but completely forgotten after the test by the
majority of students. Consider the TV show "Are you smarter than a
fifth grader?" to see how much most forget.

How much school stuff should be retained? Vastly more than is by
most. How much effort should be spent at imporoving the median
retention? I have no idea. I remember enough of the material that I
am amazed at what folks don't know.

I am sure that forgetting large amounts of material we were taught in
schools happens everywhere. One of my concerns is with attitudes to facts
and learning rather than data retention. Do schools effectively teach good
attitudes to verifying facts and claims? To me this is an essential skill
for life because we are constantly bombarded by advertisers, politicians and
the like who want us to believe their view of things.

Evaluating claims requires the will and the skills to acquire facts and
opinions. Having done so if you forget some of the facts this is not such a
big deal in comparison with those who never bother and just accept and pass
on opinions somebody has handed them or they feel emotionally comfortable
with.

Getting back on topic, we see plenty of unverified "facts" presented in
gardening and by gardeners. Who was it (Mark Twain??) who said " the
problem with folks isn't what they don't know it's what they know that just
ain't so".

David

Old 23-03-2011, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Doug Freyburger" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

LOL. As a result of wandering round the Net, I've become convinced that
Geography is either ineffectively taught, or not taught at all in USian
schools.

I vote for taught but completely forgotten after the test by the
majority of students. Consider the TV show "Are you smarter than a
fifth grader?" to see how much most forget.

How much school stuff should be retained? Vastly more than is by most.
How much effort should be spent at imporoving the median retention? I
have no idea. I remember enough of the material that I am amazed at
what folks don't know.

:-)) I'm amazed too - and especially that so much of the compulsory subject
matter didn't seem to penetrate some skulls.

I was listening to a radio quizz the other night and the question asked was:
What was the relationship between Ophelia and Laertes and give the name of
the Shakespearian play in which they appeared?

The answers astounded me. In the end the compere had to give so many hints
about the realtionship that he effectivley gave the person the answer, but
then she couldn't manage to produce the name of the play. She said Grapes of
Wrath. Another guess was something just as equally impossible and by an
another American author although that guess was actually a play rather than
a novel.

Of the actual Shakespearean plays the offerings were Romeo and Juliet,
Othello (at least there was one tragedy mentioned), Much ado about nothing,
Midsummer's Night Dream and a couple of others. It was gobbsmackingly
depressing that it took so long and that so many people couldn't answer or
bowed out and even attempt to answer.

Old 23-03-2011, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:

[...]

There is a difference between not knowing your Shakespeare and voting for
candidates who want to invade a country that you cannot find on a map and
know nothing about.

David

Old 23-03-2011, 06:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Doug Freyburger wrote:
FarmI wrote:

[...]

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...y_of_maryland_
study_shows.html?cat=9

University of Maryland Study Shows Watching Fox News Makes You Ignorant
A study conducted by the University of Maryland gives credence to the
view that Fox News is anything but, and is really a propaganda machine
meant to further a right wing agenda.

-----

Uh, he's one of yours, isn't he?

If you like weekends, thank a union.