Old 12-04-2011, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What pollinates apples, besides bees?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

Honeybees were first brought here by the pilgrams, by T.
Jefferson's time there were thousands of escaped "wild" colonies.

Which in fact means they weren't "native". Perhaps you mean
invasive?

Try "feral".

Whatever you call them, you can't call them "native"

I never tried to call them native,

That "you" was all inclusive. I don't remember who started it by calling it
Native

and invasive isn't the antonym of native. The antonyms of native would be
foreigner, immigrant, imported, or acquired.

Antonyms for invasive would be noninvasive, confined, defensive, and
unintrusive.

But not "native"?

What kind of brain damage am I dealing with here?

Thanks for clarifying the situation. It is truly heroic (or stoopid) to
engage in a contest where you don't have a tinker's dam of a chance to win.

Well as long as you think of yourself as heroic, who am I to challenge you

A domesticated species that has reverted to the wild IS THE DEFINITION of
feral.

QED

But feral in no way means "native", does it?

And in case you failed to understand what I wrote, I conceded the fact that some
the bees were indeed feral, although I hadn't considered that term in connection
with bees

I hope that wasn't too stressful for you. I know that these kinds of things
can be difficult for you precambrian types (anencephalic), but you are now on
the road to actual thoughts.

Congratulations ;O))

Thanks for the opportunity to practice my pedagogy.

Let us know when you don't need to practice it to get it correct.

I think it is time for you to run outside and play in the street now.

See, that's the trouble some of you have with what you consider thinking.

--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla adipiscing suscipit, velit urna

Old 21-04-2011, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 8, 1:52*pm, Ted Shoemaker wrote:
What pollinates apples, besides bees?

I'd like to plant apple trees -- only a couple -- in my yard.

If I must have honeybees, then I'll look into the details of that.
But honeybees, who wander far, are likely to run into insecticides. *I
live in a city, next to lots of neighbors and even a school. *There's
no way to prevent them all from using bug-killer.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

Seems safe enough to post w/o getting into the bee fray.

You should consider the self pollinating varieties:
http://www.homeorchardsociety.org/article/30/
Old 23-04-2011, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gunner wrote:
On Apr 8, 1:52 pm, Ted Shoemaker wrote:
What pollinates apples, besides bees?

I'd like to plant apple trees -- only a couple -- in my yard.

If I must have honeybees, then I'll look into the details of that.
But honeybees, who wander far, are likely to run into insecticides. I
live in a city, next to lots of neighbors and even a school. There's
no way to prevent them all from using bug-killer.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

Seems safe enough to post w/o getting into the bee fray.

You should consider the self pollinating varieties:
http://www.homeorchardsociety.org/article/30/

This may help or you could choose two varieties that are mutually fertile.
It doesn't make much difference if there are no bees though.

David

Old 25-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Registered User

What about Bumblebees? You can now buy boxes of bumblebees for using in the garden.