Old 11-04-2011, 09:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default OK to use ammonia on edible plants.

Steve Peek wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
A better choice would be a snail and slug bait whose active
ingredient is iron phosphate (technically that should be ferric
phosphate). It is sold as Sluggo, and Home Despot has a in house
brand that is a little cheaper. Iron phosphate will kill snails and
slugs, but is safe for humans and pets (unless your pet is a snail
or slug ;O)

is it safe for worms?

songbird

It's safe for anything that doesn't become a moth or butterfly, for
those larvae it's deadly.

This is puzzling. Iron phosphate is mainly to kill snails and slugs neither
of which are larvae of anything. What did you mean?

Old 11-04-2011, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Steve Peek wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
A better choice would be a snail and slug bait whose active
ingredient is iron phosphate (technically that should be ferric
phosphate). It is sold as Sluggo, and Home Despot has a in house
brand that is a little cheaper. Iron phosphate will kill snails and
slugs, but is safe for humans and pets (unless your pet is a snail
or slug ;O)

is it safe for worms?

songbird

It's safe for anything that doesn't become a moth or butterfly, for
those larvae it's deadly.

This is puzzling. Iron phosphate is mainly to kill snails and slugs
neither of which are larvae of anything. What did you mean?

I'm sorry, part of my disability includes "brain fog". I was "layering
Ferric phosphate with Bt. Bt is deadly only to the larvae, Ferric phosphate
is harmless to mammals. I apologize for the confusion.
Steve