Old 26-04-2011, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default pear tree - 2nd year - how many pears should I leave on?

I have a small pear tree out front, one of those grafted ones that
has 5 different varieties. It just finished blooming, and now it looks
like it has 200 to 250 tiny pears on it, since the petals fell off.

The tree was planted a year ago in early spring, so it has some roots
established. However, last year was very hot and dry, so it was under
some stress, and kind of just sat there. Also, I left on the 3 tiny
pears it had on in the pot at the garden center, so we got to eat 3
pears just a few months after planting it. It is about 5' tall, and the
base is approximately 1.25" across.

Complicating matters is that during the summer, I removed the plastic
tree wrap it had around the base, and discovered that the trunk is
girdled about 1/2 of the way around. I think this damage was caused by
the tree falling during transport, or at the nursery. I believe that
the plant vigor is limited by this, though I am hoping that over time,
especially since the tree is so small at this point, the living portion
of the tree will spread and cover up the dead part, so that the entire
trunk about a foot off the ground will be carrying nutrients up to the rest.

So, my question is this: given that it successfully had 3 pears on it
last year, and has a better root system now, but also considering the
partially girdled trunk, how many of the tiny pears should I leave on
the tree and allow to develop?

Thanks!
Old 26-04-2011, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
[...]

Wait until mid June, fruit trees have what is called the June drop. Easily
half of the fruits you see now will fall off during that period. After mid
June remove any that are deformed of damaged. Leave a fruit every 4-6 inches
if you have that many left. Spray a bit of "wound coat" on that girdled area
and you should be fine.
Steve

Old 26-04-2011, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Ohioguy
wrote:

[...]

what did the nursery you purchased it from say?
Old 27-04-2011, 08:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

what did the nursery you purchased it from say?

They said I should keep paying them full price for damaged trees! :-)

Bought the tree from Meijer. The issue is, of course, partly my
fault for not inspecting it thoroughly. I was excited about finding a
variety that did not require planting another for pollination, and the
fact that it already had 3 quarter sized pears on it. I never thought
about looking under the tree wrap for damage.

Of course, by the time I noticed the girdling, it was early August -
probably the worst time to plant any sort of replacement tree. That
didn't matter, though, because their garden center has sold out of items
by that time. My only recourse would have been to rip out the tree and
take it in for a refund. I decided to give the tree a chance instead,
and am hoping that the bark will grow around the dead area.
Old 28-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered User

Location: USA

Hello , I have also pear Tree and was confuse about the same question . Its a little good tree and i have got good information and guidance to implement and future pear grow.Thanks for the nice posting.