GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Overwintered onions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/196642-overwintered-onions.html)

zxcvbob 28-04-2011 03:15 AM

Overwintered onions

Last year I planted a row of onion sets. Ate about half of them as
spring onions and left the rest in the ground to harvest as dry onions
in the fall. They went dormant in late summer, then just as I was ready
to dig them in late fall they sprouted again. So I left them in the ground.

They came up again about a month ago -- in little bunches. Today I dug
two of 'em to see what I had, and was surprised to see each was now 5 or
6 bulbless onion plants with lots of roots. They look kind of like
scallions but stockier. I expected a golf ball- to tennis ball-sized
rotten onion with sprouts in the middle. (Maybe if I had dug them a
month ago they were rotten onions.)

I'm thinking I should divide these and plant them again? Do you think
they will bulb, or will they try to bloom?

-Bob

Jack01 28-04-2011 10:04 AM

Hi , The onions have grown so much and it may change their taste too . But i am not in favor to let then to grow again . I think you can use in the same way , otherwise you have the chance of loose or smell of food may come later on.

Pat Kiewicz[_2_] 04-05-2011 12:58 PM

Overwintered onions

zxcvbob said:

Last year I planted a row of onion sets. Ate about half of them as
spring onions and left the rest in the ground to harvest as dry onions
in the fall. They went dormant in late summer, then just as I was ready
to dig them in late fall they sprouted again. So I left them in the ground.

They came up again about a month ago -- in little bunches. Today I dug
two of 'em to see what I had, and was surprised to see each was now 5 or
6 bulbless onion plants with lots of roots. They look kind of like
scallions but stockier. I expected a golf ball- to tennis ball-sized
rotten onion with sprouts in the middle. (Maybe if I had dug them a
month ago they were rotten onions.)

I'm thinking I should divide these and plant them again? Do you think
they will bulb, or will they try to bloom?

They are going to bloom. Use them as scallions/green onions.

Don't wait too long. The central flower stalk can get tough, though
not a tough as in a wintered-over leek.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."