GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Where are the Worms? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/19669-re-where-worms.html)

The Cook 01-05-2003 03:20 PM

Where are the Worms?

(IC_Gardener) wrote:

I just dug a new garden bed this spring, and I was amazed at the
amount of earthworms I found as I dug up the existing sod. But when I
dig in my existing garden, I find very few. My existing garden is
about 4 years old. The sod was stripped, the bed double-dug, amended
with peat moss, compost and sand. I have been growing in it every
year, adding lots of organic material. I don't use chemical
pesticides, herbicides or fungicides. I have even added worms to it
when I pick them up after rain storms.

I would think this would be a paradise for worms. Why do they prefer
the lawn?

IC Gardener
Iowa City, Iowa
Zone 5A

Nobody bothers them there?

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Larry Blanchard 01-05-2003 05:08 PM

Where are the Worms?

In article ,
says...
I would think this would be a paradise for worms. Why do they prefer
the lawn?

Think of the huge amount of decaying vegetable matter per square foot at
the bottom of a grass lawn. Compare it to the amount in your garden.
'Nuff said?

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic