Old 01-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Registered User

Location: Islington, North London
Lightbulb Brussels sprouts - need your input!

Hi everyone,

This is a call for anyone interested in growing (and cooking/eating) brussels sprouts.

I am a journalism student and over the past few months have been running a series of websites for people who love brussels sprouts (as opposed to the traditional hating clichee) - it's all part of a project for my MA which I've called "Sprout it from the Rooftops".

Great over Christmas - loads of stories of cooking, burger king "sprout burgers", etc. - and now that the planting season is starting, I'm taking the plunge and growing my own.

Does anyone have any tips for me? Or any dos and don'ts or stories they could share about brussels sprout growing? So far I have a box out on the patio and my flatmate and I are keeping them nice and damp especially in the hot weather at the moment.

And take a look at the websites too!

Sprout lovers – you are not alone! | Sprout it from the Rooftops (that's the blog - feel free to comment!)

Anmelden | Facebook (that's the facebook page - feel free to join!)

and there's a twitter to follow too... @loveasprout
Old 02-05-2011, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Brussels sprouts - need your input!

Ellie Sprout wrote:
[...]

Keep yours eyes open for cabbage moth, the grubs can turn your brassicas
into green threads surrounding holes. If they are prevalent in your area
you will need to spray regularly or enclose the plants in mesh to prevent
the moths from laying on them.

David

PS What is a clichee?

:-)

Old 02-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Registered User

Location: Islington, North London

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post

Keep yours eyes open for cabbage moth, the grubs can turn your brassicas
into green threads surrounding holes. If they are prevalent in your area
you will need to spray regularly or enclose the plants in mesh to prevent
the moths from laying on them.

David

PS What is a clichee?

:-)
Hey David - thanks! How long have you grown sprouts? We've got an absolutely mini garden (crammed with herbs and strawberry plants at the moment!) so they're just in boxes/small border beds.

And a "clichee" - that's my key sticking on a "cliche" - oops
Old 02-05-2011, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ellie Sprout wrote:
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote:
;919679']

Keep yours eyes open for cabbage moth, the grubs can turn your
brassicas

into green threads surrounding holes. If they are prevalent in your
area
you will need to spray regularly or enclose the plants in mesh to
prevent
the moths from laying on them.

David

PS What is a clichee?

:-)

Hey David - thanks! How long have you grown sprouts? We've got an
absolutely mini garden (crammed with herbs and strawberry plants at
the moment!) so they're just in boxes/small border beds.

Not long. I can't stand them. I grow them for SWMBO some years.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ellie Sprout wrote:
[...]

I tried once in Seattle. The things were completely covered with aphids. I
composted them.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Ellie Sprout" wrote in message

UUUMM Yummy, brussel sprouts,

Old 04-05-2011, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gz Gz is offline

On May 3, 7:52*pm, "DogDiesel" wrote:
"Ellie Sprout" wrote in message

* UUUMM Yummy, *brussel sprouts,

From childhood I hated them the way mom cooked them.
They should be quickly steamed and served with lemon juice. They
should be crunchy.
Maybe a hit of mrs dash.

Greg
Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Gz wrote:

On May 3, 7:52*pm, "DogDiesel" wrote:
"Ellie Sprout" wrote in message

* UUUMM Yummy, *brussel sprouts,

From childhood I hated them the way mom cooked them.
They should be quickly steamed and served with lemon juice. They
should be crunchy.
Maybe a hit of mrs dash.

Greg

Definitely, should still be crunchy. I'd go with lemon juice, butter,
and a little bit of parmesan.
--
- Billy

Bush's 3rd term: Obama plus another elective war
Bush's 4th term: another Judas goat

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://theuptake.org/2011/03/05/michael-moore-the-big-lie-wisconsin-is-broke/

Old 06-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Registered User

Location: Islington, North London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz View Post
On May 3, 7:52*pm, "DogDiesel" wrote:
"Ellie Sprout" wrote in message

* UUUMM Yummy, *brussel sprouts,

From childhood I hated them the way mom cooked them.
They should be quickly steamed and served with lemon juice. They
should be crunchy.
Maybe a hit of mrs dash.

Greg
That sounds delicious - have you tried with lime and orange? Someone just suggested the recipe on the Sprout it on the Rooftops facey b page and I've posted it to Sprout it from the Rooftops | Lovers of brussels sprouts unite.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/01/11 11:19 AM, sometime in the recent past Ellie Sprout posted this:
[...]

They grow well in Maine. Less bothered by Cabbage Moths than other
brassicas, IMHO. Favorite variety is Olivers.

Saute some salt pork, cut sprouts in half (extra large in quarters) and
saute about 10 mins. Add some white wine (dry sherry) and a dash of balsamic
vinegar. Crack some pepper on them when served. Blanched for 3 mins., they
freeze well.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Having never grown them before, I grew them in the summer/fall, and
was waiting to harvest any until after frost. I thought you weren't
supposed to harvest any of them until after that, for better flavor.
Huge mistake.

I planted some seeds indoors nearly 2 months back, and am getting
ready to plant the plants now. This time around, I'll be picking them
as soon as they are ready on the plant.

Oh, and my wife and I love them very well steamed, which seems to get
rid of any bitterness they might have.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ohioguy wrote:

I thought you weren't
supposed to harvest any of them until after that, for better flavor.
Huge mistake.

Why was it a mistake? I often pick mine around Thanksgiving in upstate NY.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Why was it a mistake? I often pick mine around Thanksgiving in upstate NY.

Nearly all of them seemed "overripe", and bitter. I think they would
probably be more tender when picked at an earlier age, and smaller.
Mine seemed to slowly mature from the bottom of the stock up, over
several weeks. By waiting to harvest, I essentially ended up with a lot
of sprouts that were not of a quality I like to eat.