GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Are these posionous? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/196764-these-posionous.html)

georgebunter 04-05-2011 10:12 PM

Are these posionous?

Strange question, and perhaps in the wrong place, but I work in a hospital where sometimes people eat things they shouldn't. Should this plant be removed? There is some concern it looks a bit like deadly nightshade!

http://i54.tinypic.com/w7ena8.jpg

Nelly 05-05-2011 03:28 PM

Are these posionous?

"georgebunter" wrote in message

Strange question, and perhaps in the wrong place, but I work in a
hospital where sometimes people eat things they shouldn't. Should this
plant be removed? There is some concern it looks a bit like deadly
nightshade!

[image: http://i54.tinypic.com/w7ena8.jpg]

==========

Is the food there that bad?
That looks like Mahonia. Pretty innocuous plant.

echinosum 06-05-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgebunter (Post 919949)
Strange question, and perhaps in the wrong place, but I work in a hospital where sometimes people eat things they shouldn't. Should this plant be removed? There is some concern it looks a bit like deadly nightshade!

http://i54.tinypic.com/w7ena8.jpg

It looks nothing like deadly nightshade. Deadly nightshade leaves don't have indentations, and deadly nightshade berries sit in a 5-pointed leafy cup. Atropa belladonna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is mahonia, which is edible, though not always palatable unless sufficiently ripe and juicy.

Gardens are typically full of poisonous plants, but we don't go around pulling them out, unless we identify some specific garden user likely to be tempted to eat that specific plant.