Old 04-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Too many tomato plants

Hi all,
I’m a VERY armature gardener and this year I decided to grow my own tomatoes. I bought 3 seed packets and planted all 3 packets into 3 seed trays. The seedlings have grown and I now have around 80 separate tomato plants ready to plant out. I thought I could plant them all into 3-4 grow bags but I have since been told that I should only have 3-4 plants per bag. I don’t have space for more than about 4 grow bags so that leaves me with a lot of seedlings left over!
Does any one have any suggestions what I can do with these? I would like to keep as many as possible but space is a real issue ( I live in London!) I do have a small flower bed and was considering planting a few directly into the soil?

Many help for any ideas
Old 04-05-2011, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Too many tomato plants

In article ,
TheMaverick wrote:

Hi all,
I’m a VERY armature gardener and this year I decided to grow my own
tomatoes. I bought 3 seed packets and planted all 3 packets into 3 seed
trays. The seedlings have grown and I now have around 80 separate tomato
plants ready to plant out. I thought I could plant them all into 3-4
grow bags but I have since been told that I should only have 3-4
plants per bag. I don’t have space for more than about 4 grow bags so
that leaves me with a lot of seedlings left over!
Does any one have any suggestions what I can do with these? I would
like to keep as many as possible but space is a real issue ( I live in
London!) I do have a small flower bed and was considering planting a
few directly into the soil?

Many help for any ideas

Tomato plants shouldn't be any problem to give away. If you have a flea
market, you might consider selling them there, which is where, I
suspect, the ones I gave away went.
--
- Billy

Bush's 3rd term: Obama plus another elective war
Bush's 4th term: another Judas goat

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://theuptake.org/2011/03/05/michael-moore-the-big-lie-wisconsin-is-broke/
Old 05-05-2011, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 4 May 2011 20:47:14 +0000, TheMaverick
wrote:

Hi all,
I’m a VERY armature gardener and this year I decided to grow my own
tomatoes. I bought 3 seed packets and planted all 3 packets into 3 seed
trays. The seedlings have grown and I now have around 80 separate tomato
plants ready to plant out. I thought I could plant them all into 3-4
grow bags but I have since been told that I should only have 3-4
plants per bag. I don’t have space for more than about 4 grow bags so
that leaves me with a lot of seedlings left over!
Does any one have any suggestions what I can do with these? I would
like to keep as many as possible but space is a real issue ( I live in
London!) I do have a small flower bed and was considering planting a
few directly into the soil?

Many help for any ideas

Plant as many as you have room for, crowding will not improve the
yield. Put some in the flower garden. Give the spares to friends and
neighbours.

David
Old 05-05-2011, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2011 20:47:14 +0000, TheMaverick
wrote:

Hi all,
IÂ’m a VERY armature gardener and this year I decided to grow my own
tomatoes. I bought 3 seed packets and planted all 3 packets into 3 seed
trays. The seedlings have grown and I now have around 80 separate tomato
plants ready to plant out. I thought I could plant them all into 3-4
grow bags but I have since been told that I should only have 3-4
plants per bag. I donÂ’t have space for more than about 4 grow bags so
that leaves me with a lot of seedlings left over!
Does any one have any suggestions what I can do with these? I would
like to keep as many as possible but space is a real issue ( I live in
London!) I do have a small flower bed and was considering planting a
few directly into the soil?

Many help for any ideas

Plant as many as you have room for, crowding will not improve the
yield. Put some in the flower garden. Give the spares to friends and
neighbours.

David

Learn to preserve the tomatoes, I see canning in your future.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
I bought 3 seed packets and planted all 3 packets into 3 seed trays.
That's why I planted precisely 6 seeds, because I have learned to expect near 100% germination for tomatoes, and I'd have been happy with 4 or 5 plants. In fact I've got 7 because I must have dropped one extra. A pack of seeds still costs less than one tomato plant.

You can plant them in the ground if it is a sunny enough spot.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"TheMaverick" wrote in message
Does any one have any suggestions what I can do with these? I would
like to keep as many as possible but space is a real issue ( I live in
London!) I do have a small flower bed and was considering planting a
few directly into the soil?

You might try planting a "hedge" of tomato plants. Plant them along a fence
or around the perimeter of your yard, and put down some drip watering lines.
--S.