Old 05-05-2011, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default And the Verdict is...

I bought dead strawberry plants . Pulled all I could find yesterday , no
sign of root growth , no sign of green on top . I guess if I want berries
this year I'll have to buy 'em at the local Kroger .
The wild strawberries , however , are doing great in my lawn . And the
ones in the empty lot next door are doing even better ! Too bad they're the
size of 00 buck shot and taste like crap .
Due to our employment situation I'm hesitant to plant any perennials here
now . Luckily for us we have a pace in the Ozarks that's paid for , and may
end up moving into our camper up there - especially if the wife can find a
teaching position up there . Not much hope for me though , between my age
and the construction industry being so dead slow . Upside is that there's a
half-acre clearing on our land that's perfect for a garden ... and wild
blueberries , muscadines , and other edibles scattered in the 11.5 acres
that's still heavily wooded .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 05-05-2011, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 5 May 2011 06:37:46 -0500, "Snag" wrote:

[...]

Sorry that your strawberries were dead.

You are correct to wait until things are more settled to start
perennials unless you just like to give the future owners a gift. And
that assumes that the new owners would actually like strawberries and
asparagus.

Your property in the Ozarks sounds wonderful.

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 05-05-2011, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:
[...]

I seriously doubt the bank will harvest anything I plant ... this
neighborhood has been in decline for several years , there are as many empty
houses as occupied . And nobody's buyin' here ...
Serious downside to moving up there is that I'll have nowhere for my
machine shop and all my tools, unless we get a windfall ... can't stuff 30+
years of stuff into a 25' camper !
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 05-05-2011, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
"Snag" wrote:

Serious downside to moving up there is that I'll have nowhere for my
machine shop and all my tools, unless we get a windfall ... can't
stuff 30+ years of stuff into a 25' camper !

If your real estate in the mountains is at all accessible, think
"shipping container". Except for what we use daily DW&I store 36+
years' "stuff" in a 20-footer. It is secure and weather tight.
Properly broken down for transport, our entire lives together can be
moved in one felled swoop, relatively inexpensively, on the back of a
single flatbed truck. --
Derald

Actually , we have a 12x21 metal carport in the back yard that I bought
last year as an addition to my shop . It will be disassembled and move with
us . Fairly simple matter to close it in and use it for storage/shop space ,
but I'll want a slab poured before I move it . Might be a good time right
now to start checkin' on that ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 05-05-2011, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
"Snag" wrote:

Fairly simple matter to close it in and use it for storage/shop
space , but I'll want a slab poured before I move it . Might be a
good time right now to start checkin' on that ...

Yeah; it's never to soon. More time the 'crete has to cure the better.
Reads as if your move may be imminent. Be sure to check with the
local zoning code enforcement people beforehand, if the new
jurisdiction has building code. Easier to do the silly dance now than
to tear the project down on the sayso of some dweeb in a county truck
and rented shirt.
Sorry to read about the berries. That's something with which I have no
experience.
--
Derald

Our land is in an unincorporated area in Stone County Arkansas , where
they may have heard of a building permit, but few have seen one . With the
exception of those who have moved up there from Memphis to get away from
such things.
Right now berries are the least of my worries , as neither my wife nor I
have a job as of the end of June (I've been unemployed for 16 months). Seems
the new administration of the school district where she's been teaching for
12 years have decided to ignore the law and not renew her contract . Can't
say more due to pending legal action .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 05-05-2011, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Snag wrote:
Derald wrote:
"Snag" wrote:

[...]

Follow-up as regards permits - the only permit/inspection required in that
area is potable water plumbing in new construction . I called the office
that has that responsibility .
Side note , there's an opening for a teacher up there ... makes my li'l
heart go pitty-pat !!
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
Snag wrote:

snip

Our land is in an unincorporated area in Stone County Arkansas ,

snip

Side note , there's an opening for a teacher up there ... makes my
li'l heart go pitty-pat !!

"Stone County" suggests a possible cash crop retirement plan ;-). I'd
say
I'll keep my fingers crossed regarding the teaching position but am
afraid it'd jinx it.
--
Derald

Bwahahahahahahhaaa !! While there is a problem in that area with people
growing "cash crops" out in the national forest , it got that name because
it "grows" rocks . Much of the Arkansas field stone sold comes from that
part of the state . A good portion of hard and soft Arkansas sharpening
stones also come from that part of the state.
I'm still chucklin' ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps