GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Using stored rainwater for irrigation? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/196793-using-stored-rainwater-irrigation.html)

qazwsxed 07-05-2011 08:33 AM

Using stored rainwater for irrigation?

Hello!

Is it recommended (disease safe etc) to use stored rainwater for irrigating vegetable beds? I couldn't guarantee high turnover of the water in the butts, but that obviously depends on the weather.

We are just starting to transfer vegetables from seeding pots into raised beds, as our first attempt at growing our own and we are concious of wasting tap water.

Thanks a lot!

anne929 08-05-2011 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsxed (Post 920182)
Hello!

Is it recommended (disease safe etc) to use stored rainwater for irrigating vegetable beds? I couldn't guarantee high turnover of the water in the butts, but that obviously depends on the weather.

We are just starting to transfer vegetables from seeding pots into raised beds, as our first attempt at growing our own and we are concious of wasting tap water.

Thanks a lot!

Using rain water for irrigation is a great idea. It will not only help you to conserve water but rain water is also so much better for your vegetations because it does not have chlorine which is commonly found in tap water.