Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Registered User

Default How tall of a trellis for cucumbers?

What would be sufficient? 3'? 6'? The varieties I'm considering a
Muncher
Straight Eight
Marketmore
Poinsett 76

Also, would you recommend one of these over the others for flavor?

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2011, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Using stored rainwater for irrigation?

qazwsxed wrote:
Hello!

Is it recommended (disease safe etc) to use stored rainwater for
irrigating vegetable beds? I couldn't guarantee high turnover of the
water in the butts, but that obviously depends on the weather.

Yes

David
Old 08-05-2011, 11:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
qazwsxed wrote:
Hello!

Is it recommended (disease safe etc) to use stored rainwater for
irrigating vegetable beds? I couldn't guarantee high turnover of the
water in the butts, but that obviously depends on the weather.

Yes

But unless that water butt had better be a big one, because I know how long
it takes to empty a 2,000 gallon tank - it disappears in a couple of decent
watering sessions before needing refilling.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
anne929 wrote:

qazwsxed;920182 Wrote:
Hello!

Is it recommended (disease safe etc) to use stored rainwater for
irrigating vegetable beds? I couldn't guarantee high turnover of the
water in the butts, but that obviously depends on the weather.

We are just starting to transfer vegetables from seeding pots into
raised beds, as our first attempt at growing our own and we are concious
of wasting tap water.

Thanks a lot!

Using rain water for irrigation is a great idea. It will not only help
you to conserve water but rain water is also so much better for your
vegetations because it does not have chlorine which is commonly found
in tap water.

If you can smell the chlorine in the water, it may be a problem, for you
as well as your plants, but if you can't smell it, there probably is no
problem for either of you.
--
- Billy

Bush's 3rd term: Obama plus another elective war
Bush's 4th term: another Judas goat

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://theuptake.org/2011/03/05/michael-moore-the-big-lie-wisconsin-is-broke/