Old 10-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Registered User

Default rhubarb seeds

Hello there
This is my first post thank you for letting me join your forum.
I live in surrey i have not got a very big garden mainly flowers
and lawn, but i am sorting out part of the garden to use to plant
vegetable so i am sure i will be asking plenty of question look foward to
getting to know you all.

my sister has rhubarb in her garden, She has just given me a load
of seeds. Is this the best way to start some plants for my garden.
Also at the moment is it ok to grow them in a very large pot

regards
Marela
Old 10-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Suffolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marela View Post
Hello there
This is my first post thank you for letting me join your forum.
I live in surrey i have not got a very big garden mainly flowers
and lawn, but i am sorting out part of the garden to use to plant
vegetable so i am sure i will be asking plenty of question look foward to
getting to know you all.

my sister has rhubarb in her garden, She has just given me a load
of seeds. Is this the best way to start some plants for my garden.
Also at the moment is it ok to grow them in a very large pot

regards
Marela
Plant Rhubarb seeds singly in 3" pots and grow on until the autumn, harden off if growing in a greenhouse, and plant out 12" apart in rows 18" apart.

Dont pick any stems until year two or three but remove flower heads annually

BTW seed grown Rhubarb is much sweeter then someones old spilttings.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:41:41 +0000, marela
wrote:

Hello there
This is my first post thank you for letting me join your forum.
I live in surrey i have not got a very big garden mainly flowers
and lawn, but i am sorting out part of the garden to use to plant
vegetable so i am sure i will be asking plenty of question look foward
getting to know you all.

my sister has rhubarb in her garden, She has just given me a load
of seeds. Is this the best way to start some plants for my garden.

The quickest way to propagate rhubarb is to divide a plant. Any chunk
that has a stalk or two and some roots will probably grow. Seeds will
work if they are viable but it will take longer. AFAIK rhubarb is
true breeding so the seeds should give a plant much like the parent.

Also at the moment is it ok to grow them in a very large pot

Sure, depending on your definition of 'very large'. Fill the pot with
fairly rich mix that includes some manure or compost, rhubarb is a
moderately heavy feeder. It will only do well for a year or two after
that divide it and plant it out or replace the soil. Place the pot in
full sun and remember to water it regularly particularly when it is
hot and dry.

David
Old 11-05-2011, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Apple tree Care

On Tue, 10 May 2011 17:06:56 +0000, Benacre
wrote:

Just got an allotment after a three year wait, I have found two mature
and two immature apple trees, Not sure if they are cookers or dessert,
There are small fruits forming and the base are covered in weeds.

How best to care for them between fruiting and picking please?

Cheers ears.

CJ.

Clear the weeds and mulch all around, trim off any shoots from below
the graft, feed now and then again mid summer. Water deeply if it
gets dry. Keep your eyes open for attack by insects, fungi and fruit
thieves both four and two legged. If there are many fruit consider
thinning them. Consider pruning next winter before budding. Ask
others who grow apples at the allotment for tips.

Old 17-05-2011, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

The quickest way to propagate rhubarb is to divide a plant. Any chunk
that has a stalk or two and some roots will probably grow. Seeds will
work if they are viable but it will take longer. AFAIK rhubarb is
true breeding so the seeds should give a plant much like the parent.

Same here 100 miles west of Montreal. Local plants are
hardy i.e. survive winters as cold as -30, appear dead in
April and produce edible rhubarb in June.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs