GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing onions in pots? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/196978-growing-onions-pots.html)

Bennewby 13-05-2011 07:40 PM

Growing onions in pots?

Hi all, I am totally new to the gardening world but seem to be doing ok so far.
I recently moved into my flat which has a little garden comprising of a patio and gravel. I am growing things in pots i.e tom, strawberries, herbs, potatoes and its all doing really well so far. I was given some onions that have been grown from seed by a friend and was wondering if they will be ok in pots? Alot of websites say its not worth it but i'm not worried about how many i will be able to harvest ( even if i can just grow one i will be chuffed with it ) just how many i can plant and how much space they need?

Any info will be great

Thankyou

Gareth b 14-05-2011 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennewby (Post 921268)
Hi all, I am totally new to the gardening world but seem to be doing ok so far.
I recently moved into my flat which has a little garden comprising of a patio and gravel. I am growing things in pots i.e tom, strawberries, herbs, potatoes and its all doing really well so far. I was given some onions that have been grown from seed by a friend and was wondering if they will be ok in pots? Alot of websites say its not worth it but i'm not worried about how many i will be able to harvest ( even if i can just grow one i will be chuffed with it ) just how many i can plant and how much space they need?

Any info will be great

Thankyou

Hello, Growing Onions in pots will be fine, Make sure they are spaced apart some distant 25-30cm to allow for growing room. Feed regularly during the summer (once a month with liquid feed I use on mine) and hopefully they will be ready in August time. Onions like a sunny situation and don’t grow as well in a shady situation.

Hope that helps?

Bennewby 15-05-2011 11:37 AM

Thats great thank you for your help... I'll let you know in august how it went.