Old 28-02-2003, 04:27 PM
simy1

Default Garden plot planning?

"DH" wrote in message ...
Any good reference books/sites/software out there how to plot out a
vegetable/herb garden? I am moving in about a month, and am currently
really trying to get a wonderful parcel on ten acres. (Wish me luck - I'm
second in line depending on if the first potential buyers can drop their
contingency.) I'd like to devote about an acre to a vegetable garden to
start, but was wondering how best to plan it out. For example, I know that
some vegetables grow well side by side, but others shade out lower-growing
veggies. What distance should veggie types be from each other, what side of
the garden (i.e, north, west, south, east) should particular plants go, etc.
How far apart should individual plants be from each other. (I know this is
on the seed packets, but I'm looking for a more comprehensive tool to plan
out the garden in advance.)

I love just about every veggie (except radishes), so I want to plant quite a
variety, but I've never been good at placement and figuring out what to
plant early enough so that I can plant a second crop later after the early
crop expires.

I have a lot of good gardening books, but nothing that really covers
planning out the layout well, except for a little book I have about
postage-stamp gardens

Rodale just came out with a new encyclopedia of organic gardening
which is the first truly advanced book on home gardening I have seen
(at least at B&N). Territorial Seeds also has an advanced home
gardening book.

If you have that much room, you should consider growing, like I do,
potatoes under wood chips rows. No watering, no feeding, and low
yields, but I do nothing except planting and harvesting them. Ditto
for Jerusalem artichokes, and of course you should also consider a 5
sqyds asparagus bed. Both asparagus and JA are perennial. There are a
few other perennial crops, ask if interested and specify zone.

Another thing i would do is to have maybe 50 sqaure yards under cover.
You plant them with winter vegetables and start harvesting in
november. It could last you into february. I cover approx. 15 square
yards, and they last into mid-january. Right now I am miserable at the
lack of truly fresh veggies.

Other than that 1 acre is too much. My family gets half its veggies
for the year out of 30 sqyds. The great advantage of large gardens is
in extending the season, and in having plots devoted to low yield, no
work crops. If I were to double my garden size, I would put all the
new area under cover.
Old 28-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Oriole

My garden is all raised bed on about 30 x50 feet. Being in the city, this is
the largest garden I have ever had. I planned it on graph paper, keeping in
mind that I wanted the beds to go east to west for the best light all day. I
also plant tall plants to get the morning sun first which is also by my
privacy fence. I use a gardener's journal put out by Lee Valley, which is
really nice, has places for everything.
Some of my favorite books are Carrots love Tomatoes, which tell you what
goes with what and what doesn't like what.Also the book The New Kitchen
Garden is nice for garden plans, although not as big as you plan, but could
be a source of inspiration. It shows plans for fruit gardens, herb and
vegetable gardens.
Good luck, hope this helps. O

"DH" wrote in message

"Tim B" wrote in message
. ..
Ahhhh I see now.

Agree on the fruits. Let me suggest small fruits and berries too.

(off topic follows....)

You must be my long lost twin. :-) I have some blackberry plants that

have
traveled with me from home to home in a container, so they will be going

up
with me. Wanted to plant a mulberry tree/shrub as well.

I am already reading up on chickens. I kept them a long time ago, when I
was a kid, but they seem to have become more complicated since then! g

I found out today that I got my ten acre parcel!!!! One nice thing is

that
it comes complete with a barn and a big fenced chicken coop, as well as
those two pastures, so there won't be much I have to do there, other than
install fencing so my two big pooches don't stray too far.