Old 11-06-2011, 06:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Courgettes ready to cut?

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"gmb27" wrote in message

Hi folks, can anybody tell me at what length I should be cutting
off my courgettes? In cm would be good thanks as Ive only tried
this for the first time this year. Thanks!

You can cut them at all sizes including the flowers for stuffing,
however it'd be normal to cut them at about 10cm or 15 cm. BUT,
even though you maintain constant vigilance, you will find that
some still manage to escape
detection and you will have to cut them when they reach the size of
a torpedo. When that happens, cut then in half lengthwise and
stuff them with
a savoury mince mix, top it with cheese and bake it in the oven, so
just feed that halved segments to the chooks. Chooks LOVE torpedo
sized zucchini.

Up to 8" I slice and sautee with olive oil and garlic (or shallots
and parsley). From 8" to 12" I stuff with sausage, bread crumbs, and
cheese. Larger than 12", they get grated into baking (bread, cakes,
ect) to add moisture to finished goods.

Since we've moved on to recipes..... my favourite way of cooking them
(but not low fat or particulalry good for me) is to slice them, fry
them in butter (real butter, not that artificial poop) till they are
bron on both sides and when they are almost done, drop in a crushed
clove of garlic, quickly stir to cook garlic and then quickly add
bread crumbs and stir to mop up all the butter and garlic and serve
at once.

Why save the marrow substrate and just eat garlic on bread fried in
butter?

Now that is just too decadent. If you are old enough, perhaps you remember
Garlic Prawns as made in the late 60s through to about the late 70s? They
were almost as you describe except you got prawns in the cast iron bowl
cooked in the garlic and butter and the bread was served on the side.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"gmb27" wrote in message

[...]

El Jaleo down near central railway Sydney, you would reek for days.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"gmb27" wrote in message

[...]

:-))) Well I don't know that place, but the name would fit with the trip I
did down memory lane today when I checked out my recipe collection for
Garlic Prawns. The recipe closest to the garlic, butter, prawn and bread on
the side recipe is called 'Spanish Garlic Prawns' according to one of my
'Woman's Weekly' cookbooks.

Time to repot my Jade Plant? Steve[_2_] Garden Photos 19 07-11-2010 04:56 PM
To Repot or Not to Repot Jane Orchids 5 01-09-2008 04:31 PM
To repot or not to repot, that is the question Jane Orchids 21 03-04-2007 05:32 AM
when's the best time to repot a lycaste? Jerry Hoffmeister Orchids 4 29-12-2003 04:04 PM
B. Nodosa: to repot or not? Orchids 8 27-02-2003 07:06 AM