Old 05-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Registered User

Default Time to repot tomatoes?

Last year my tomatoes were over 2 feet tall before they started flowering.

Somebody told me not to repot from 4 inch to their final place until they start to flower, but I can't find any info on this on the web. In fact, all I can find is the discussion as to whether or not to remove the first flowers.

Can anybody clarify the situation?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Registered User

To clarify - the tip was given to me as way to make them flower earlier.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

BigKev wrote:
Last year my tomatoes were over 2 feet tall before they started
flowering.

Somebody told me not to repot from 4 inch to their final place until
they start to flower, but I can't find any info on this on the web. In
fact, all I can find is the discussion as to whether or not to remove
the first flowers.

Can anybody clarify the situation?

That sounds like bad advice to me. The plants probably will start to
flower from the stress of being potbound, but they'll also be stunted.
Then you plant them in the ground and while they are trying to grow out
of it, they have the added stress of carrying a few little 'maters.

That can't be good for the total harvest, even if it bumps it up a week.

-Bob
Old 08-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Registered User

Location: Devon, UK

In my opinion it isnt great advice. You dont want to stress them out by keeping them potbound, toms can react badly to this. Repot them and water them well afterwards. Also I wouldnt suggest pinching out anything until they begin to flower. Remember that various types of toms will flower at different sizes/times.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Courgettes ready to cut?

gmb27 wrote:
Hi folks, can anybody tell me at what length I should be cutting off
my courgettes? In cm would be good thanks as Ive only tried this for
the first time this year. Thanks!

Typically about 10-12cm. You will need to do it daily because they grow
very fast and once they get above 15 cm the flavour gets very bland. If you
have too many cut them at 2-3cm with the flowers still on and eat them and
the flowers at that stage.

David

Old 09-06-2011, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"gmb27" wrote in message

Hi folks, can anybody tell me at what length I should be cutting off my
courgettes? In cm would be good thanks as Ive only tried this for the
first time this year. Thanks!

You can cut them at all sizes including the flowers for stuffing, however
it'd be normal to cut them at about 10cm or 15 cm. BUT, even though you
maintain constant vigilance, you will find that some still manage to escape
detection and you will have to cut them when they reach the size of a
torpedo. When that happens, cut then in half lengthwise and stuff them with
a savoury mince mix, top it with cheese and bake it in the oven, so just
feed that halved segments to the chooks. Chooks LOVE torpedo sized
zucchini.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 15:01:35 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"gmb27" wrote in message

Hi folks, can anybody tell me at what length I should be cutting off my
courgettes? In cm would be good thanks as Ive only tried this for the
first time this year. Thanks!

You can cut them at all sizes including the flowers for stuffing, however
it'd be normal to cut them at about 10cm or 15 cm. BUT, even though you
maintain constant vigilance, you will find that some still manage to escape
detection and you will have to cut them when they reach the size of a
torpedo. When that happens, cut then in half lengthwise and stuff them with
a savoury mince mix, top it with cheese and bake it in the oven, so just
feed that halved segments to the chooks. Chooks LOVE torpedo sized
zucchini.

And pigs.

But, since I don't have pigs or chickens- I peel, seed, and grate
mine, lightly salt, drain for a bit- wrap in a towel and squeeze out.
Mix with an egg, some flour or cornmeal and some onion. Make a
patty and fry in oil. [a zucchini latke ]
Serve with some melted smoked provolone and roasted red pepper.

Jim
Old 09-06-2011, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

"gmb27" wrote in message

[...]

I'm with you, that's also my favorite means of preserving them. Just fry
them in a little olive oil until almost done. Then drain and freeze. I like
a bit of dill and cayenne added to mine.

Steve

Old 09-06-2011, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,

"gmb27" wrote in message

Hi folks, can anybody tell me at what length I should be cutting off my
courgettes? In cm would be good thanks as Ive only tried this for the
first time this year. Thanks!

You can cut them at all sizes including the flowers for stuffing, however
it'd be normal to cut them at about 10cm or 15 cm. BUT, even though you
maintain constant vigilance, you will find that some still manage to escape
detection and you will have to cut them when they reach the size of a
torpedo. When that happens, cut then in half lengthwise and stuff them with
a savoury mince mix, top it with cheese and bake it in the oven, so just
feed that halved segments to the chooks. Chooks LOVE torpedo sized
zucchini.

Up to 8" I slice and sautee with olive oil and garlic (or shallots and
parsley). From 8" to 12" I stuff with sausage, bread crumbs, and cheese.
Larger than 12", they get grated into baking (bread, cakes, ect) to add
moisture to finished goods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_vN0--mHug
Old 09-06-2011, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
BigKev

if they flower too early you will get a few big tomotoes on a tiny
small bush

Old 09-06-2011, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

fsadfa wrote:
On Jun 5, 7:10 am, BigKev wrote:
Last year my tomatoes were over 2 feet tall before they started
flowering.

Somebody told me not to repot from 4 inch to their final place until
they start to flower, but I can't find any info on this on the web.
In fact, all I can find is the discussion as to whether or not to
remove the first flowers.

Can anybody clarify the situation?

--
BigKev

if they flower too early you will get a few big tomotoes on a tiny
small bush

I doubt that. In the right situation they just power on making more flowers
and fruit regardless of age of first flower.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,

"gmb27" wrote in message

[...]

Since we've moved on to recipes..... my favourite way of cooking them (but
not low fat or particulalry good for me) is to slice them, fry them in
butter (real butter, not that artificial poop) till they are bron on both
sides and when they are almost done, drop in a crushed clove of garlic,
quickly stir to cook garlic and then quickly add bread crumbs and stir to
mop up all the butter and garlic and serve at once.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

In article ,

"gmb27" wrote in message

[...]

Essentially, this is one of my favorite ways to prepare mushrooms, green
beans, sliced carrots, and squash, but I don't brown the vegetable
first. I sautee the vegetable with butter, and shallots. Once nearly
done, I sprinkle on some minced parsley, and lastly the breadcrumbs
(very lightly). Some parmesan is often added at the table.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 10-06-2011, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 9, 6:53*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
fsadfa wrote:
On Jun 5, 7:10 am, BigKev wrote:
Last year my tomatoes were over 2 feet tall before they started
flowering.

Somebody told me not to repot from 4 inch to their final place until
they start to flower, but I can't find any info on this on the web.
In fact, all I can find is the discussion as to whether or not to
remove the first flowers.

Can anybody clarify the situation?

--
BigKev

if they flower too early you will get a few big tomotoes on a tiny
small bush

I doubt that. *In the right situation they just power on making more flowers
and fruit regardless of age of first flower.

D- Hide quoted text -

I meant if the flower sets fruit too early you will get a few big
tomatoes on a tiny bush, all the energy goes toward making the
tomatoe, not growing the plant, and a small plant can't spare the
energy to do both. I snip off early fruit if the plant is too small,
unless it's a cherry variety. Once a plant gets to a certain size, it
can power doing both as you say.

If you in a whose got a bigger tomatoe plant contest, just snip all
the flowers off and see what happens!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
In article ,

"gmb27" wrote in message

[...]

Why save the marrow substrate and just eat garlic on bread fried in butter?

Time to repot my Jade Plant? Steve[_2_] Garden Photos 19 07-11-2010 04:56 PM
To Repot or Not to Repot Jane Orchids 5 01-09-2008 04:31 PM
To repot or not to repot, that is the question Jane Orchids 21 03-04-2007 05:32 AM
when's the best time to repot a lycaste? Jerry Hoffmeister Orchids 4 29-12-2003 04:04 PM
B. Nodosa: to repot or not? Orchids 8 27-02-2003 07:06 AM