Old 15-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Banned

Location: Worcestershire
Default tomato side shoots as fetilizer??

Am I imagining this? Many years ago I think I read somewhere that the sideshoots taken from corden tomatoes could be soaked in water and made a good fertilizer to feed back to the plants

Anyone know anything about this?

All the best
Sue
Old 16-06-2011, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

darkbrowneggs wrote:
Am I imagining this? Many years ago I think I read somewhere that the
sideshoots taken from corden tomatoes could be soaked in water and
made a good fertilizer to feed back to the plants

Anyone know anything about this?

All the best
Sue

Any cuttings off your plants (not diseased) can be recylcled into compost.
I know of no reason why tomatoes or a special kind of tomato would be any
better than anything else. Typically fleshy shoots from annuals would not
contain great concentrations of nutrients, they are mainly cellulose and
water.

David

Old 16-06-2011, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
darkbrowneggs wrote:
Am I imagining this? Many years ago I think I read somewhere that the
sideshoots taken from corden tomatoes could be soaked in water and
made a good fertilizer to feed back to the plants

Anyone know anything about this?

All the best
Sue

Any cuttings off your plants (not diseased) can be recylcled into compost.
I know of no reason why tomatoes or a special kind of tomato would be any
better than anything else. Typically fleshy shoots from annuals would not
contain great concentrations of nutrients, they are mainly cellulose and
water.

David

It's much better to root them for late tomato production.