Old 20-06-2011, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default tomatoes not flowering

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
chancethegardnr wrote:

hello this is my first posting on here and i hope somebody can help.
my tomoatoes in the greenhouse are still not flowering although some
are about 15 inches high. i'm concerned i planted them out too late
- last weekend. i am however near glasgow so the greenhouse even now
still drops to 5-10 degrees at night. will they eventually flower?
i'm hoping they will i've planted out 30 of them!

You need a soil temp of 70F, and night time temps in the 50Fs for
tomatoes. Ten degrees Fahrenheit would flat out kill a tomato plant,
so you must either not know how to read a thermometer, or you are a
troll.

Billy, who clearly is not a troll must be having a severe bout of
American
Parochialism. The fit comes on them and they have to go and lie down in
dark room and not type for a few hours. Fear not he will recover.

The civilised world uses thermometers with degrees Celsius. Yes there
are
some exceptions like Liberia and Burma, oh and the USA for some reason.
Your tribe will want us to go back to the Julian calendar soon so you can
get those 13 days back in your lives.

David

Sorry, but I was taught the English system of measurements, as well as
the metric. Where would one expect the English system of measurement to
be used? I caught the error quickly, so you can now go back to your
parochial existence.

What on earth is this "English system of measurements" of which you speak?
As far as I know, there is no such thing.

When ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise ;O)

I've embarrassed myself enough, Fran. If you want to continue down this
path, google the term "English system of measurement"
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 20-06-2011, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
chancethegardnr wrote:

[...]

As the old saying goes: "Two Countries divided by a common language"
In the US we call it the "English System of Measurements". The UK calls it
the "Imperial System".

First of all the world needs to know the two golden rules when comes to the
United States.

Golden Rule #1: The United States is always correct!

Golden Rule #2: If the United States is wrong, please remember Golden Rule
#1.

Old 21-06-2011, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Old 21-06-2011, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

#1.

Old 21-06-2011, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
chancethegardnr wrote:

i am however near glasgow so the greenhouse even now still
drops to 5-10 degrees at night. will they eventually flower? i'm hoping
they will i've planted out 30 of them!

Your question is a little too vague for one to provide a definitive answer.
However, it does seem to have been sufficient to provoke a number of resident
twits into displaying their overwhelming interest in themselves, eh? At any
rate, a quick perusal of the W3 unearthed this site which appears to contain
actual conversation among gardeners in your part of the world who may be able to
offer some insight:
http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/vegging-out/outdoor-tomatoes-scotland-possible_38772.html

Your answer is no better and no less insulting than any other here. Which
makes you just like us... So welcome to the family

The Original Poster has not followed up on request for further details.
Like what variety of the tomato, size of pot, how often for watering...

So like you, we can only speculate in which others might find interesting.

Old 21-06-2011, 07:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message

Sorry, but I was taught the English system of measurements, as well as
the metric. Where would one expect the English system of measurement to
be used? I caught the error quickly, so you can now go back to your
parochial existence.

What on earth is this "English system of measurements" of which you
speak?
As far as I know, there is no such thing.

When ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise ;O)

I've embarrassed myself enough, Fran. If you want to continue down this
path, google the term "English system of measurement"

OK, did. I found at Dummies.com, that it's a system of measurement not
used in the UK and that supposedly a Pint has 16 ounces. Now I know for
sure that it isn't any British or English system of measurement.

Old 21-06-2011, 07:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
chancethegardnr wrote:

[...]

No it's not. An Imperial Pint has 20 fl ounces.

#1.

But that only applies if you live in the US. The rest of the world knows
different (ducking and running).