Old 19-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Registered User

Unhappy tomatoes not flowering

hello this is my first posting on here and i hope somebody can help. my tomoatoes in the greenhouse are still not flowering although some are about 15 inches high. i'm concerned i planted them out too late - last weekend. i am however near glasgow so the greenhouse even now still drops to 5-10 degrees at night. will they eventually flower? i'm hoping they will i've planted out 30 of them!
Old 20-06-2011, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default tomatoes not flowering

--
chancethegardnr

I would be interested to know about this as well.

intlit
Old 20-06-2011, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

chancethegardnr wrote:
hello this is my first posting on here and i hope somebody can help.
my tomoatoes in the greenhouse are still not flowering although some
are about 15 inches high. i'm concerned i planted them out too late -
last weekend. i am however near glasgow so the greenhouse even now
still drops to 5-10 degrees at night. will they eventually flower?
i'm hoping they will i've planted out 30 of them!

That is rather cool for t'maters. All you need is a warm spell of a few
weeks with cloudy nights and you will get a flowering, I don't think you are
going to get the continuous flowering and vigorous growth that happens in
warmer climates. Don't give up yet but don't expect too much.

David.

Old 20-06-2011, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
chancethegardnr wrote:

hello this is my first posting on here and i hope somebody can help. my
tomoatoes in the greenhouse are still not flowering although some are
about 15 inches high. i'm concerned i planted them out too late - last
weekend. i am however near glasgow so the greenhouse even now still
drops to 5-10 degrees at night. will they eventually flower? i'm hoping
they will i've planted out 30 of them!

Are you overwatering them?
Old 20-06-2011, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
chancethegardnr wrote:

hello this is my first posting on here and i hope somebody can help. my
tomoatoes in the greenhouse are still not flowering although some are
about 15 inches high. i'm concerned i planted them out too late - last
weekend. i am however near glasgow so the greenhouse even now still
drops to 5-10 degrees at night. will they eventually flower? i'm hoping
they will i've planted out 30 of them!

You need a soil temp of 70F, and night time temps in the 50Fs for
tomatoes. Ten degrees Fahrenheit would flat out kill a tomato plant, so
you must either not know how to read a thermometer, or you are a troll.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/

Old 20-06-2011, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
chancethegardnr wrote:

hello this is my first posting on here and i hope somebody can help. my
tomoatoes in the greenhouse are still not flowering although some are
about 15 inches high. i'm concerned i planted them out too late - last
weekend. i am however near glasgow so the greenhouse even now still
drops to 5-10 degrees at night. will they eventually flower? i'm hoping
they will i've planted out 30 of them!

You need a soil temp of 70F, and night time temps in the 50Fs for
tomatoes. Ten degrees Fahrenheit would flat out kill a tomato plant, so
you must either not know how to read a thermometer, or you are a troll.

hmmm...

The poster is from the UK. I believe the poster is using Celcius for
temperature. Ten degrees Celsius is Fifty Degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 20-06-2011, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
chancethegardnr wrote:

hello this is my first posting on here and i hope somebody can help. my
tomoatoes in the greenhouse are still not flowering although some are
about 15 inches high. i'm concerned i planted them out too late - last
weekend. i am however near glasgow so the greenhouse even now still
drops to 5-10 degrees at night. will they eventually flower? i'm hoping
they will i've planted out 30 of them!

You need a soil temp of 70F, and night time temps in the 50Fs for
tomatoes. Ten degrees Fahrenheit would flat out kill a tomato plant, so
you must either not know how to read a thermometer, or you are a troll.

OK, you're using Celcius, so you need a soil temp of 21C, and night time
temps from 10C to 13C for tomatoes.

Tomatoes always seem as if they take forever to grow. Hopefully you
planted tomatoes that ripen early, 60 days or more or less. Worse comes
to worse, you may need to add a heater at the end of the season, to get
your tomatoes.

Old 20-06-2011, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
chancethegardnr wrote:

hello this is my first posting on here and i hope somebody can help. my
tomoatoes in the greenhouse are still not flowering although some are
about 15 inches high. i'm concerned i planted them out too late - last
weekend. i am however near glasgow so the greenhouse even now still
drops to 5-10 degrees at night. will they eventually flower? i'm hoping
they will i've planted out 30 of them!

You need a soil temp of 70F, and night time temps in the 50Fs for
tomatoes. Ten degrees Fahrenheit would flat out kill a tomato plant, so
you must either not know how to read a thermometer, or you are a troll.

I would hazard a guess that these are degrees C equal to 41F-50F
http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

Mike

Old 20-06-2011, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
chancethegardnr wrote:

hello this is my first posting on here and i hope somebody can help.
my tomoatoes in the greenhouse are still not flowering although some
are about 15 inches high. i'm concerned i planted them out too late
- last weekend. i am however near glasgow so the greenhouse even now
still drops to 5-10 degrees at night. will they eventually flower?
i'm hoping they will i've planted out 30 of them!

You need a soil temp of 70F, and night time temps in the 50Fs for
tomatoes. Ten degrees Fahrenheit would flat out kill a tomato plant,
so you must either not know how to read a thermometer, or you are a
troll.

Billy, who clearly is not a troll must be having a severe bout of American
Parochialism. The fit comes on them and they have to go and lie down in a
dark room and not type for a few hours. Fear not he will recover.

The civilised world uses thermometers with degrees Celsius. Yes there are
some exceptions like Liberia and Burma, oh and the USA for some reason.
Your tribe will want us to go back to the Julian calendar soon so you can
get those 13 days back in your lives.

David

Old 20-06-2011, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nad R wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
chancethegardnr wrote:

hello this is my first posting on here and i hope somebody can help. my
tomoatoes in the greenhouse are still not flowering although some are
about 15 inches high. i'm concerned i planted them out too late - last
weekend. i am however near glasgow so the greenhouse even now still
drops to 5-10 degrees at night. will they eventually flower? i'm hoping
they will i've planted out 30 of them!

You need a soil temp of 70F, and night time temps in the 50Fs for
tomatoes. Ten degrees Fahrenheit would flat out kill a tomato plant, so
you must either not know how to read a thermometer, or you are a troll.

hmmm...

The poster is from the UK. I believe the poster is using Celcius for
temperature. Ten degrees Celsius is Fifty Degrees Fahrenheit.

Also fifteen inches is not very high. Tomatoes depending on variety grows
around five to eight feet tall depending on variety. What the original
poster does not state is how long he has been growing them. Fifty degrees
fahrenheit is too cool to grow. Tomatoes grow well in temperatures in the
seventies fahrenheit. They will not grow also if temp is too hight like the
nineties.

If the temperature drops under forty the plants may die.
So what are the condition of the plants? Nice and green?

My guess is... the pots are two small for continued growth for indoors. A
fifteen inch plant probably needs at least a five gallon deep bucket with
drainage holes. Flowers may not begin until the plant is around three feet
high using a trellis.

The original poster could also be using raised beds inside the green house.
Is this the case???

Old 20-06-2011, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
chancethegardnr wrote:

[...]

In defense of Billy, the OP was giving mixed measurements. Why state inches
instead of using the metric system like in meters? Perhaps those in the UK
uses a mixed system of measures. After all who came up with the "English
Pound"?

At first I felt the OP had made a mistake is typing the numbers.

Old 20-06-2011, 06:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
chancethegardnr wrote:

[...]

Sorry, but I was taught the English system of measurements, as well as
the metric. Where would one expect the English system of measurement to
be used? I caught the error quickly, so you can now go back to your
parochial existence.

Old 20-06-2011, 09:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"chancethegardnr" wrote in
message ...

hello this is my first posting on here and i hope somebody can help. my
tomoatoes in the greenhouse are still not flowering although some are
about 15 inches high. i'm concerned i planted them out too late - last
weekend. i am however near glasgow so the greenhouse even now still
drops to 5-10 degrees at night. will they eventually flower? i'm hoping
they will i've planted out 30 of them!

I see that you are posting through garden b. You have asked your question
in a newsgroup called rec.gardens.edible (which is totally unrelated to
online frums such as gerden b.) Most posters in this group are not in the
UK.

Do a google on the search term 'newsgroup' and figure out if you can access
newsgroups directly, and then ask your question on the newsgroup called
uk.rec.gardening The regular posters in that group should be able to give
you good advice relating more directly to your locale.

Old 20-06-2011, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
chancethegardnr wrote:

[...]

What on earth is this "English system of measurements" of which you speak?
As far as I know, there is no such thing.

Old 20-06-2011, 01:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
chancethegardnr wrote:

[...]

Possibly, like me, the OP grew up learning Imperial measures in school and
then at some stage in his/her life, his/her country converted to using
metric measures.

I still (mostly) use inches and feet for height of both plants and people.
I have trained myself to know that 30cm is roughly a foot and that it is
about 5cm to 2 inches but I am constantly doing conversions between inches
and cms.

Perhaps those in the UK
uses a mixed system of measures. After all who came up with the "English
Pound"?

At first I felt the OP had made a mistake is typing the numbers.

There is no way any UK poster would use a mixed system whereby they'd use
the term "English pound". Anyone from the UK who'd use that term has
already been dead for about 150 years.