Old 22-06-2011, 07:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default OT English System vs Imperial System of Measure

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Nad R" wrote in message

So math may not be a common language after all

Indeed. USians call it 'math' whereas Australians call it 'maths' (always
with an 's' on the end and I presume that might be because it [perhaps]
liguistically, derives from 'mathmatics' as opposed to 'arithmetic'). Must
check my big OED some day.

My understanding is that the four basic functions of math are called
arithmetic. When you describe a situation, it is math.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 22-06-2011, 07:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
echinosum wrote:

I have stuck a label on my scales 1 cup = 225g, for
translation from US recipe books.

What do you usually measure on your scale, that a cup would equal half a
kilo (vol/mass).

I saw that also, however a cup is a liquid measure and thought it may be
different than ours. Also 225g is less than one fourth a kilogram, not one
half.

Dry measure of flour can be different from product to product. For baking
measuring flour is best done by weight rather than by volume.

My other thought was they have A cup that weighs 225g

--
Enjoy Life... Nad R Garden in zone 5a All postings uses the American
System of Measures.
Old 22-06-2011, 07:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message

Enjoy Life... Nad R Garden in zone 5a All postings uses the American
System of Measures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ustomary_units

LOL. So it's NOT called an 'English' system.

"American system", "US system", "UK system", "imperial system", "Metric
System" almost every country has a measurement system with minor
differences. There is even an "Australian System".

However most are the two camps, "English and Imperial" with liquid measure
having the greatest difference with the same named units.

Yes, the US for the most part IS the English System.

Old 22-06-2011, 08:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message

So math may not be a common language after all

Indeed. USians call it 'math' whereas Australians call it 'maths'
(always
with an 's' on the end and I presume that might be because it [perhaps]
liguistically, derives from 'mathmatics' as opposed to 'arithmetic').
Must
check my big OED some day.

My understanding is that the four basic functions of math are called
arithmetic. When you describe a situation, it is math.

Delete any possible international inclusiveness by the use of that 'you'
Billy.

I've just looked up my OED (the 20 volume version) and it says that 'math is
used as an abbreviation in written English in the UK but not in speech, the
normal form being 'maths'. For 'maths' it says that it is an abreviation
of 'mathematics'. It's the same in Australian English.

Old 22-06-2011, 08:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message

Enjoy Life... Nad R Garden in zone 5a All postings uses the American
System of Measures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ustomary_units

LOL. So it's NOT called an 'English' system.

"American system", "US system", "UK system", "imperial system", "Metric
System" almost every country has a measurement system with minor
differences. There is even an "Australian System".

Is there? The only measurements that I know of that are used in Australia
are the standard international ones. Do you have a cite?

However most are the two camps, "English and Imperial" with liquid measure
having the greatest difference with the same named units.

Yes, the US for the most part IS the English System.

Sigh.

Old 22-06-2011, 10:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

u...
"Nad R" wrote in message

Enjoy Life... Nad R Garden in zone 5a All postings uses the American
System of Measures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ustomary_units

LOL. So it's NOT called an 'English' system.

"American system", "US system", "UK system", "imperial system", "Metric
System" almost every country has a measurement system with minor
differences. There is even an "Australian System".

Is there? The only measurements that I know of that are used in Australia
are the standard international ones. Do you have a cite?

However most are the two camps, "English and Imperial" with liquid
measure
having the greatest difference with the same named units.

Yes, the US for the most part IS the English System.

Sigh.

The only uniquely Australian measurement I know of involves "a cut lunch and
a water bag"

Mike

Old 22-06-2011, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message

Enjoy Life... Nad R Garden in zone 5a All postings uses the American
System of Measures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ustomary_units

LOL. So it's NOT called an 'English' system.

"American system", "US system", "UK system", "imperial system", "Metric
System" almost every country has a measurement system with minor
differences. There is even an "Australian System".

Is there? The only measurements that I know of that are used in Australia
are the standard international ones. Do you have a cite?

http://www.measurement.gov.au/measur...s/default.aspx

I find the terms are mostly semantics. Like the Term "American System" is
mostly the "English System".

Old 22-06-2011, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message

So math may not be a common language after all

Indeed. USians call it 'math' whereas Australians call it 'maths'
(always
with an 's' on the end and I presume that might be because it [perhaps]
liguistically, derives from 'mathmatics' as opposed to 'arithmetic').
Must
check my big OED some day.

My understanding is that the four basic functions of math are called
arithmetic. When you describe a situation, it is math.

Delete any possible international inclusiveness by the use of that 'you'
Billy.

Describing a situation, is math?

Old 22-06-2011, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
echinosum wrote:

I have stuck a label on my scales 1 cup = 225g, for
translation from US recipe books.

What do you usually measure on your scale, that a cup would equal half a
kilo (vol/mass).

And the brain farts just keep on coming ;O) Don't read what I write,
read what I mean, and I meant a pound, not a kilo (but then it's not
mass is it? :O( Rats! It would be volume divided by force [I see that a
pound is now also considered mass, but back in the day, mass was
measured by slugs, which brings us back to the garden.];O)

Old 23-06-2011, 06:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bloke Down The Pub" wrote in message
news

u...
"Nad R" wrote in message

[...]

LOL. Now this is much more fun than Weights and Measures. What about being
a few roos short in the paddock? Hasn't got all the chairs at home? A few
slabs short of a barbie?

Old 23-06-2011, 06:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message

So math may not be a common language after all

Indeed. USians call it 'math' whereas Australians call it 'maths'
(always
with an 's' on the end and I presume that might be because it
[perhaps]
liguistically, derives from 'mathmatics' as opposed to 'arithmetic').
Must
check my big OED some day.

My understanding is that the four basic functions of math are called
arithmetic. When you describe a situation, it is math.

Delete any possible international inclusiveness by the use of that 'you'
Billy.

Describing a situation, is math?

I wouldn't have thought so, but I assume you must have had a reason for
saying it was.

Old 23-06-2011, 06:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
u...
"Nad R" wrote in message

[...]

LOL. Good one, but is it officially a unit of measure?

Old 23-06-2011, 06:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message

Enjoy Life... Nad R Garden in zone 5a All postings uses the
American
System of Measures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ustomary_units

LOL. So it's NOT called an 'English' system.

"American system", "US system", "UK system", "imperial system", "Metric
System" almost every country has a measurement system with minor
differences. There is even an "Australian System".

Is there? The only measurements that I know of that are used in Australia
are the standard international ones. Do you have a cite?

http://www.measurement.gov.au/measur...s/default.aspx

Did you actually read the cite? Your reference to there being an
"Australian System" of measurement is not supported by anything on that
site. In fact just the reverse. The Australian Government Legislation
states quite specifically that Australia uses 'the International system of
Units'.

As a nation, I'm sure we'd like to think we can punch above our weight but I
don't know any Aussie who'd be so arrogant as to claim that an
'International system' is an Australian one.

I find the terms are mostly semantics. Like the Term "American System" is
mostly the "English System".

Perhaps you could correct Wikipedia's entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ustomary_units

Old 23-06-2011, 07:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
u...

[...]