Old 23-06-2011, 06:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default OT English System vs Imperial System of Measure

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
u...
"Nad R" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Nad R" wrote in message

Enjoy Life... Nad R Garden in zone 5a All postings uses the
American System of Measures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ustomary_units

LOL. So it's NOT called an 'English' system.

"American system", "US system", "UK system", "imperial system",
"Metric System" almost every country has a measurement system
with minor differences. There is even an "Australian System".

Is there? The only measurements that I know of that are used in
Australia are the standard international ones. Do you have a cite?

However most are the two camps, "English and Imperial" with liquid
measure
having the greatest difference with the same named units.

Yes, the US for the most part IS the English System.

Sigh.

The only uniquely Australian measurement I know of involves "a cut
lunch and a water bag"

Mike

Sydharb

LOL. Good one, but is it officially a unit of measure?

Would I pull your leg?

Yes you would you rogue!

http://www.pipa.com.au/images/pdf/Sydharb.pdf

PIPA indeed! Where the 'A' means 'Assocation'!

Old 23-06-2011, 09:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Sydharb
LOL. Good one, but is it officially a unit of measure?

Would I pull your leg?

http://www.pipa.com.au/images/pdf/Sydharb.pdf

A harbor as a unit of measure?
Only in the land of Down Under.

But then I Googled "sydharb" first on the list was Unusual measurements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...of_measurement

The dog is back in the house and his "Dog Years" are getting shorter and I
am going back to sleep and get a few more "Decimalisations".

Old 23-06-2011, 09:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message

Enjoy Life... Nad R Garden in zone 5a All postings uses the
American
System of Measures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ustomary_units

LOL. So it's NOT called an 'English' system.

"American system", "US system", "UK system", "imperial system", "Metric
System" almost every country has a measurement system with minor
differences. There is even an "Australian System".

Is there? The only measurements that I know of that are used in Australia
are the standard international ones. Do you have a cite?

http://www.measurement.gov.au/measur...s/default.aspx

Did you actually read the cite? Your reference to there being an
"Australian System" of measurement is not supported by anything on that
site. In fact just the reverse. The Australian Government Legislation
states quite specifically that Australia uses 'the International system of
Units'.

As a nation, I'm sure we'd like to think we can punch above our weight but I
don't know any Aussie who'd be so arrogant as to claim that an
'International system' is an Australian one.

I find the terms are mostly semantics. Like the Term "American System" is
mostly the "English System".

Perhaps you could correct Wikipedia's entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ustomary_units

It does seem incorrect, a European must have wrote it.

--
Enjoy Life... Nad R Garden in zone 5a
Old 24-06-2011, 05:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message

[...]

Well here's your chance to make it make even less sense than it does now.