Old 21-06-2011, 09:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default OT English System vs Imperial System of Measure

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Nad R" wrote in message

As the old saying goes: "Two Countries divided by a common language"
In the US we call it the "English System of Measurements". The UK calls it
the "Imperial System".

No it's not. An Imperial Pint has 20 fl ounces.

I have traveled to Canada on occasion. Canada uses the Imperial Gallon as
4.5 liters. Where the US Gallon is 3.7 liters for gasoline containers.

So can I assume we both learned something here?
You now know what the English System is now?

And that we both need to be conscious of the English vs Imperial
differences?
In the US every day life people use the English System. In the Science
Arena is the only area in the US that uses the Metric System in which I am
also familure with.

But as you stated you seem to use a mixed system, Celsius for temperature
and inches for measurement. Is this common to mix it up in your part of the
world? Here in the US the two systems are separate, no mix. It is one or
the other.

Perhaps in the future I should use the term "Gallon:US" and others us
"gallon:UK"
So in your part of the world, do you have Five Gallon Buckets? if so I
wonder what the size difference is.

Old 21-06-2011, 11:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message

[...]

This being Usenet my guess has as much relevance as any I have gleaned
from the regular posts that we are not a bunch of teenagers and this being
the case, those of us from the UK or Aus will have been taught the imperial
system at school and then "converted" to Metric at some time in our working
lives. Like FarmI I know what 2 inches looks like I know what a foot looks
like I just have to mentally convert them when speaking to the youngsters or
risk the blank stares. However "they" do not think of us older people when
they tell us the fence must be 198cm high ( 6 foot 6 inches) not an easy sum
to do if your hats on tight. So no, in every day life we use the Metric
system its just some of us are better at visualising feet and inches.

My Five Gallon Bucket is a 20 litre jerry can.

Mike

Old 21-06-2011, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nad R wrote:

In the US every day life people use the English System. In the Science
Arena is the only area in the US that uses the Metric System in which I am
also familure with.

Military was already metric when I enlisted in 1978. There was legacy
stuff in place but anything new was metric. By now the amount of legacy
stuff will be pretty small.
Old 21-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nad R View Post
I have traveled to Canada on occasion. Canada uses the Imperial Gallon as
4.5 liters. Where the US Gallon is 3.7 liters for gasoline containers.

So can I assume we both learned something here?
You now know what the English System is now?

And that we both need to be conscious of the English vs Imperial
differences?
In the US every day life people use the English System. In the Science
Arena is the only area in the US that uses the Metric System in which I am
also familure with.

But as you stated you seem to use a mixed system, Celsius for temperature
and inches for measurement. Is this common to mix it up in your part of the
world? Here in the US the two systems are separate, no mix. It is one or
the other.
I was in Guatemala once. Small size drink bottles were 12 oz, larger ones were 1 litre. Mixes of measures are not uncommon.

Here in Britain:
Petrol is sold in litres but roads are measured in miles. Unfortunately fuel consumption is only available in mpg or litres/100km, when it would make much more sense if it was reported as miles/litre or litres/100 miles. Some oldies have to convert litres to gallons in their head, to understand what they are buying, but I haven't discussed gallons with anyone for many years, except hidden in mpg fuel consumption measures.

The weather forecast is given in celcius as the prime measure, (with Frankenstein in parenthesis on occasion). Although a few over 50s still think in Frankenstein, celcius (often given its old name centigrade) is what is in common use.

Beer and milk are sold in pints, but all other liquids are sold in litres. So there is still an understanding of pints for consumable liquids.

Recipe books and scales still use pounds/oz with metric alternative. So although food is sold in kg in shops, pounds/oz remain deeply engrained. Personally I mainly use metric, though certain recipes I've been using for decades I still think in oz. US recipes in cups confuse us terribly. I have stuck a label on my scales 1 cup = 225g, for translation from US recipe books.

Even though in theory metric, a lot of packaged things are sold in amounts of "about a pound", sometimes precisely 454g, but often 400g, 450g, 500g. Although certain things have legally prescribed package sizes: wine can be sold as 375ml, 500ml, 750ml, 1000ml, and no other sizes in this range. So the old practice of selling you 720ml, 700ml, even 690ml I saw once, is outlawed.

Everything in DIY shops is metric. Working off plans, builders use mm. But people know their height in feet and inches and it is a rare person who readily knows it in mm, although that is how the doctor will record it on your medical records. People still give approximations in inches, even young people, though they never do any sums at school in such amounts.

So, apart from miles for roads (in fact it is illegal to measure roads in km, a council who put up some metric signs had to take them down) and pints for beer and milk, just about everything else is legally required to be metric in Britain. After 30-40 years, we are are increasingly getting used to them. But inches/feet and pounds/oz remain engrained in the culture, even for young people, even though they learn nothing about them at school.
Old 21-06-2011, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

echinosum wrote:
Nad R;927420 Wrote:
[...]

So I see said the blind man. Here in the US I have noticed most modern
books on baking no longer measure dry goods by volume. Many of the newer
books on baking measure dry goods by weight because items like flour can
very from different sources. When they go by weight the baked goods tend to
more consistent.

But remember the first line. A gallon is not same as a gallon in Canada. A
pint in the US is sixteen ounces, some countries a pint is twenty ounces (
I think ).

So math may not be a common language after all

--
Enjoy Life... Nad R Garden in zone 5a All postings uses the American
System of Measures.

Old 21-06-2011, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nad R wrote:
echinosum wrote:
Nad R;927420 Wrote:
[...]

It's worse than the difference in ounces per pint (or gallon). The US fluid
ounce is not the same as the Imperial fluid ounce either.

The interesting thing is you can agree over what is in a bottle of scotch.
A US fifth (one fifth of a US gal) is the same as one sixth of an Imperial
gallon which was the traditional size for wine and spirit bottles. So all
those bottles of Laphroaig were despatched for US consumption only needed
new labels. With metric conversion those scotch bottles were rounded to
750ml and now somehow to 700ml. The universe is clearly shrinking.

David

Old 21-06-2011, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

It's worse than the difference in ounces per pint (or gallon). The US
fluid ounce is not the same as the Imperial fluid ounce either.

The interesting thing is you can agree over what is in a bottle of
scotch. A US fifth (one fifth of a US gal) is the same as one sixth of an
Imperial gallon which was the traditional size for wine and spirit
bottles. So all those bottles of Laphroaig were despatched for US
consumption only needed new labels. With metric conversion those scotch
bottles were rounded to 750ml and now somehow to 700ml. The universe is clearly shrinking.

David

We're Doomed
And I thought the universe was expanding according to the latest news on
astrophysics.

Time to get a bottle of scotch

Old 22-06-2011, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message

As the old saying goes: "Two Countries divided by a common language"
In the US we call it the "English System of Measurements". The UK calls
it
the "Imperial System".

No it's not. An Imperial Pint has 20 fl ounces.

I have traveled to Canada on occasion. Canada uses the Imperial Gallon as
4.5 liters. Where the US Gallon is 3.7 liters for gasoline containers.

So can I assume we both learned something here?

Well I would have thought that you'd already know about Imperial measures.
I was very surprised to find that you didn't.

You now know what the English System is now?

Yep, but I certainly will never use such a term. It's what I've always
called US measurements as they relate to Pints and Gallons. Other measures
used by USians are Imperial but for some unknown reason they are not called
that in the US.

And that we both need to be conscious of the English vs Imperial
differences?

I always have been conscious of those differences and use my knowledge of
those differences on a regualar basis.

I am a keen cook so since sometime in the 1970s, I have always needed to
know if I'm dealing with an old Imperial recipe or a US recipe (although I
rarely cook any modern US recipes).

In addition, the only manufacturers of measuring jugs with ounce measures
notated on them these days are US manufacturers. Wwhenever I use one of my
big measuring jugs that tries to tell me that a Pint only contains 16
ounces, I tell it that it's being parochial and I might possibly want to use
the 20 ounce Pint. It never manages to see the error of it's way though and
insists that 16 ounce Pint is the only option.

In the US every day life people use the English System. In the Science
Arena is the only area in the US that uses the Metric System in which I am
also familure with.

But as you stated you seem to use a mixed system, Celsius for temperature
and inches for measurement. Is this common to mix it up in your part of
the
world?

It's not a 'mix up' as I explained in an earlier post. It's two different
systems used in parallell by older people who grew up under an earlier
system and who had to learn to use a new system, but who have not yet died
out leaving the only a younger generation who knows only the new system.

Here in the US the two systems are separate, no mix. It is one or
the other.

Perhaps in the future I should use the term "Gallon:US" and others us
"gallon:UK"

That should be Imperial Gallon. The UK is only one place on the globe that
uses that form of meaure.

So in your part of the world, do you have Five Gallon Buckets? if so I
wonder what the size difference is.

When I see a US site that refers to 5 gallon buckets, I know exactly what
size they are referring to - its a 20 litre bucket although you'd never want
to put a full 20 litres of liquid into it. More common here for household
use in the 9 litre bucket which would hold 10 litre is filled right to the
brim but it would be ineffective to do so.

Old 22-06-2011, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bloke Down The Pub" wrote in message
. au...

"Nad R" wrote in message

[...]

LOL. That says it in a nutshell, methinks. But don't you have a whole
collection of 20 litre lidded buckets? My potting shed has lots of them
although I use the smaller ones (perhaps 15 litres???) without their lids
for weeding, carting manure aroudn in etc. Very, very handy things are
those tough poly buckets without their lids (with or without handles).

Old 22-06-2011, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message

So math may not be a common language after all

Indeed. USians call it 'math' whereas Australians call it 'maths' (always
with an 's' on the end and I presume that might be because it [perhaps]
liguistically, derives from 'mathmatics' as opposed to 'arithmetic'). Must
check my big OED some day.

Old 22-06-2011, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

LOL. That says it in a nutshell, methinks. But don't you have a whole
collection of 20 litre lidded buckets? My potting shed has lots of them
although I use the smaller ones (perhaps 15 litres???) without their lids
for weeding, carting manure aroudn in etc. Very, very handy things are
those tough poly buckets without their lids (with or without handles).

I like this item called the Bucket Boss for my five gallon buckets. One
holds my pruning tools and another empty bucket for the weeds. A nice item
for those five gallon buckets.

http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-01...8708103&sr=8-1

Old 22-06-2011, 03:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

LOL. That says it in a nutshell, methinks. But don't you have a whole
collection of 20 litre lidded buckets? My potting shed has lots of them
although I use the smaller ones (perhaps 15 litres???) without their lids
for weeding, carting manure aroudn in etc. Very, very handy things are
those tough poly buckets without their lids (with or without handles).

I like this item called the Bucket Boss for my five gallon buckets. One
holds my pruning tools and another empty bucket for the weeds. A nice item
for those five gallon buckets.

http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-01...8708103&sr=8-1

I think I prefer the Fiskars one on that same page - I like the fact that
the Fiskars only sits on the outside of the bucket and doesn't go over the
lip of the bucket. I dont't use the big 5 gall buckets in my garden as they
hang too low - the smaller (15 litre?) ones are a better size for someone of
my height and perhaps the Fiskars might fit one of those as I think the
diameter would be the same - must check.

I currently drag my smaller tools around my acreage in a plastic
rectangular shaped, plastic tool caddy thingo and I have 2 of them, one
larger than the other.

I love that seat for the 5 gallon bucket! I really, really want one! I
might even break my own rule and buy one online from bloody Amazon (spit!).

Old 22-06-2011, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message
[...]

The seat does look desirable, not sure if the bucket will hold me up. The
friskers holder sags too much for heavier items. I have the 35 pocket
bucket boss and not the one listed. The one I have has mesh pockets for wet
items. I bought my bucket boss at the local big box hardware store.

I like the five gallon bucket, some items are long, like the compost
temperature probe and I keep a rubber mallet when taking down and putting
back up the wire fencing when i turn the compost piles. Pruning saw and
other smaller tools are in it... Like the almighty cell phone or my iPad.

I have a garden wagon that I have on occasion let the sides down and sit in
it on occasion. I use the wagon for shovels and carrying large pots from
inside to outside the home.

Old 22-06-2011, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message

Enjoy Life... Nad R Garden in zone 5a All postings uses the American
System of Measures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ustomary_units

LOL. So it's NOT called an 'English' system.

Old 22-06-2011, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
echinosum wrote:

I have stuck a label on my scales 1 cup = 225g, for
translation from US recipe books.

What do you usually measure on your scale, that a cup would equal half a
kilo (vol/mass).
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/