Old 24-06-2011, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Queer Zucchini ?

I'm startin' to wonder f I got a batch of gay zucchini seeds . The flowers
are all male ... so far .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 24-06-2011, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Derald" wrote in message
m...

"Snag" wrote:

I'm startin' to wonder f I got a batch of gay zucchini seeds . The flowers
are all male ... so far .

LOL! It may seem so but no, that's just the way squash start out. It's
called being prepared: Pollinizers are ready for action when a pistillate
flower
forms. I routinely grow a bush straightneck yellow squash variety called
"Dixie
hybrid" with exactly the opposite charateristic. They usually produce a
flight
of "female" blossoms long before any pollenizers are made and those poor
girls
just wither on the vine, so to speak.
--
Derald
FL USDA zone 9a

Guys! you're both messing up! Eat those flowers before they wilt. Just dip
them in a light batter and deep fry them. You may never let another squash
mature again.
Steve
ps: you can add a little cayenne or curry or dill or....... any spice you
want to the batter.

Old 25-06-2011, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Derald" wrote in message
om...

"Snag" wrote:

I'm startin' to wonder f I got a batch of gay zucchini seeds . The flowers
are all male ... so far .

-snip-
Guys! you're both messing up! Eat those flowers before they wilt. Just dip
them in a light batter and deep fry them. You may never let another squash
mature again.

Amen!! The batter is 1 cup of flour, a cup of water, some salt & a
splash of oil.

Stuff them with some mozzarella, cream cheese, goat cheese, onions,
basil, parsley, or any combination before dipping if you please.

Serve with a good marinara.

Better than the fruit.

Leave a tail when you pick them. they make good handles. And pick
them in the morning before the bees and bugs are active.

Jim
[I fry in an inch of oil in a frying pan- and turn 1/2 way through.]
Old 25-06-2011, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Derald" wrote in message
m...

"Snag" wrote:

I'm startin' to wonder f I got a batch of gay zucchini seeds . The
flowers are all male ... so far .

-snip-
Guys! you're both messing up! Eat those flowers before they wilt.
Just dip them in a light batter and deep fry them. You may never let
another squash mature again.

Amen!! The batter is 1 cup of flour, a cup of water, some salt & a
splash of oil.

Stuff them with some mozzarella, cream cheese, goat cheese, onions,
basil, parsley, or any combination before dipping if you please.

Serve with a good marinara.

Better than the fruit.

Leave a tail when you pick them. they make good handles. And pick
them in the morning before the bees and bugs are active.

Jim
[I fry in an inch of oil in a frying pan- and turn 1/2 way through.]

Now see what I went and done ? Having read up on it a bi , I wasn't really
all that concerned , figgered the girls would be along soon . Happy y'all
posted about the flowers being edible !

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 27-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Devon, UK

Never realised you can eat the flowers! Thanks for the tip.

Old 28-06-2011, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 24, 4:07*pm, "Snag" wrote:
I'm startin' to wonder f I got a batch of gay zucchini seeds . The flowers
are all male ... so far .

--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

I was wondering ...what is this group all about?
thanks!
Old 28-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snag View Post
I'm startin' to wonder f I got a batch of gay zucchini seeds . The flowers are all male ... so far .
As already explained, it isn't unusual for them to produce a few male flowers to start with. But if the plants aren't very happy, they carry on producing only male flowers. If you have the plants too close together, this happens. They like to be at least 2 feet away from the next plant.
Old 28-06-2011, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

echinosum wrote:
Snag;927807 Wrote:
I'm startin' to wonder f I got a batch of gay zucchini seeds . The
flowers are all male ... so far .

As already explained, it isn't unusual for them to produce a few male
flowers to start with. But if the plants aren't very happy, they
carry on producing only male flowers. If you have the plants too
close together, this happens. They like to be at least 2 feet away
from the next plant.

--
echinosum

They seem plenty happy to me ... growing very well , spreading out and the
leaves are well formed . I think it might be partly the unseasonable heat
we've been experiencing here in Memphis . At any rate , the zukes and
cantalopes are all spaced about 30" apart . I had stuff way too crowded last
year , so I quadrupled the garden area this year .
'Maters are all doing well too , most of the indeterminates have blossoms
now , with the exception of the cherry tomatoes which were planted late .
I'll never use those little peat pellets again , they just don't work well
for me . Next year it'll probably be potting soil in paper egg cartons ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 28-06-2011, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Snag"
wrote:

I'm startin' to wonder f I got a batch of gay zucchini seeds . The flowers
are all male ... so far .

That happened to me for years. Seemed reasonable to me, since I hang
out with so many gay guys, but it was still frustrating.

I'm trying again this year, hoping that my (bad) luck with women will
give my garden a skip this year so I can have some summer squash.

Priscilla
Old 28-06-2011, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

wrote:
On Jun 24, 4:07 pm, "Snag" wrote:
I'm startin' to wonder f I got a batch of gay zucchini seeds . The
flowers are all male ... so far .

--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

I was wondering ...what is this group all about?
thanks!

The name rec.gardens.edible is a blind to keep away idle spectators so we
can talk about phallic phruits.

Did you know that bananas were designed by God to fit the human hand? If
you make a ring with your thumb and index finger guess what it fits! A
banana! Well a zucchini too, but only if they are picked at the right size.
Bananas have it all over zuchs though.
Note that the banana:

1.. Is shaped for the human hand
2.. Has a non-slip surface
3.. Has outward indicators of inward content:
Green - not ripe enough
Yellow - just right for eating
Black - too ripe
4.. Has a tab for easy removal of its wrapper
5.. Is perforated on the wrapper for easy peeling
6.. Has a biodegradable wrapper
7.. Is shaped for the human mouth
8.. Is pleasing to the taste buds
9.. Is curved towards the face to make the eating process easy
The conclusion: obviously the banana was designed by "Almighty God" for the
benefit of human beings.

David

And if you want to enjoy it, the way god intended for you to enjoy it
(organic), avoid those sold by Mammon, which have Thiabendazole,
Imazalil, 5-Hydroxythiabendazole, Azoxystrobin, o-Phenylphenol,
Pyrimethanil, Oxamyl oxime, Chlorpyrifos, Myclobutanil on them.
http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/food.jsp?food=BN
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 01-07-2011, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
In article , "Snag"
wrote:

I'm startin' to wonder f I got a batch of gay zucchini seeds . The
flowers are all male ... so far .

That happened to me for years. Seemed reasonable to me, since I hang
out with so many gay guys, but it was still frustrating.

I'm trying again this year, hoping that my (bad) luck with women will
give my garden a skip this year so I can have some summer squash.

Priscilla

I found some female blossoms on one plant yesterday ... the rest can't be
far behind . The only way I really like 'em is in stir fry ... with ginger
sauce .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 02-07-2011, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I have the same problem Queer Zucchini ?

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 15:07:09 -0500, Snag wrote:

I'm startin' to wonder f I got a batch of gay zucchini seeds . The
flowers are all male ... so far .

I have two zucchini plants. One has 3 or 4 zucchinis that are 4 inches
long. The other plant has nothing but flowers! They both look healthy
and are the same size!

Queer Barney Frank {or is it Barney Fife?} Wants to legalizeonline gambling and marijuana Kate_G Gardening 54 14-05-2009 01:17 AM
Can someone ID this insect found on my Zucchini? - zucchini pest.jpg Tracey Gardening 1 22-07-2003 07:32 PM
Can someone ID this insect found on my Zucchini? - zucchini pest.jpg (1/1) Some One Gardening 5 22-07-2003 04:42 PM
Zucchini problems Bill Gardening 1 11-06-2003 10:08 PM
zucchini's KH Australia 7 05-04-2003 07:35 AM