Old 26-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Registered User

Smile How to get more blueberry's and grapes??

The blueberry plant doesn't seem to have as much fruit this year, does it need feeding etc any suggestions please?

My grape vine came into flower, but the fruits seem to have dissapeared, here is a picture

http://i51.tinypic.com/34xerlu.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/34xerlu.jpg

Thanks!
Old 27-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroleh View Post
The blueberry plant doesn't seem to have as much fruit this year, does it need feeding etc any suggestions please?

My grape vine came into flower, but the fruits seem to have dissapeared, here is a picture

http://i51.tinypic.com/34xerlu.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/34xerlu.jpg

Thanks!
Your grape flower photos are not sufficiently in focus for me to see anything.

There are so many things that can go wrong with grapes, even when grown in the south of France. Cold weather during flowering can result in poor fruit set.

I'm growing a grape variety specially selected for British-like climates, Phoenix, and its fruit set fine, flowered quite some time ago now.

Of course blueberries need feeding, like most things. They also like it soggily damp, and, at least in many parts of Britain, it was very dry during flowering period.
Old 27-06-2011, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How to get more blueberry's and grapes??

[image: http://i51.tinypic.com/34xerlu.jpg]

http://i51.tinypic.com/34xerlu.jpg

Thanks!

i'm offline and won't see your pictures
but i would say from your descriptions that
you have a lack of pollination. as to why
that happened it is hard to say without
being there during flowering.

songbird
Old 27-06-2011, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

caroleh wrote:

The blueberry plant doesn't seem to have as much fruit this year, does
it need feeding etc any suggestions please?

My grape vine came into flower, but the fruits seem to have dissapeared,
here is a picture

[image: http://i51.tinypic.com/34xerlu.jpg]

http://i51.tinypic.com/34xerlu.jpg

Thanks!

i'm offline and won't see your pictures
but i would say from your descriptions that
you have a lack of pollination. as to why
that happened it is hard to say without
being there during flowering.

songbird

OP, what kind of grapes, and did your grape vine have lots of rain?

Blueberries need fertilizer 2-3 times a year using a fertilizer
made for Azaleas/Camellias, and the soil needs to be acidic.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 28-06-2011, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

OP, what kind of grapes, and did your grape vine have lots of rain?

This year , for the first time ever , my grape vine is loaded - fruit
usually sets , but doesn't mature but for a few grapes . We had a very wet
spring , unlike the last few years .
BTW , I didn't planrt the vine , just realized one day it was there among
the honeysuckle vines on my fence . The few grapes it has produced in the
past had good flavor ... just weren't enough to do anything with .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 28-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Registered User

Location: SE England

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroleh View Post
The blueberry plant doesn't seem to have as much fruit this year, does it need feeding etc any suggestions please?

My grape vine came into flower, but the fruits seem to have dissapeared, here is a picture

http://i51.tinypic.com/34xerlu.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/34xerlu.jpg

Thanks!
It took two years after planting my pinot noir, to get grapes. By trial and error I found that a wet spring encourages massive foliage growth at the expense of fruit. It's worth removing most of the foliage without signs of flowers/fruit sets and just leaving enough to sustain the plant and give some protection from birds, or you can end up with mildew.

Growing grapes is a challenge !