Old 04-07-2011, 07:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato problem.

I'm wondering if anyone can take a shot at this. So I can figure what to do.

My friend has a tomato problem. It looks like its the second year and its
starting again.

He told me. Last year his plants all died after the leaves started turning
yellow and worked their way up the plant. And the plants all turned black.
He believed he over watered them and killed them. I never saw them.

I was just over there checking his plants out. The plants are about 2 ft
tall. Probly been in since may.

There's a few leaves and stems turning yellow. Near the bottom.

One sucker leaf was completely yellow , right in the middle of an all green
section.

Another stem was all turning yellow.

The leaves are turning yellow between the veins .

He is not overwatering them.

I tested his soil earlier this year and it was nutrient good.

And he bought new soil and its in 6 inch raised beds .

And all the leaves on the whole plant are curling their edges up.

That leave turning up thing rings a bell , I know it means something. but I
cant remember what it means.

He's got my garden problem book, and he mentioned , he read that smokers
aren't supposed to touch tomato plants.

But he has.

I know a little bit about wilts , viruses and such.

I was leaning that way.

Its just my tomatoes never had problems in the last 20 years or so. So its
hard for me to help him.

I appreciate the input.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 02:31:16 -0400, "DogDiesel"
wrote:

[...]

It sounds like early blight but to make a better diagnosis look here.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...problemsolver/

I find the site very helpful. I just sprayed my tomatoes for early
blight a couple of days ago.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 04-07-2011, 12:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

[...]

Not saying it is a magnesium deficiently but I sort of remember yellow
leaves being a sign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesi...e#Applications

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://honest-food.net/

Old 04-07-2011, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/4/2011 2:31 AM, DogDiesel wrote:
[...]

I've heard of tobacco mosaic virus but have never seen it.

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...ses_Tomato.htm

Don't think it is calcium deficiency as this shows up as blossom end rot.

Leaves on my plants near bottom turn yellow and I remove stems but think
this is normal. I've been getting good tomatoes in my planters on my deck.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
[...]

Have a friend with the same problem, be interesting to see if it has the
same cause.
The plants are from seeds.

Zone 6 NY / LI

Cheers

Old 04-07-2011, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
[...]

Mineral deficiency?
I had a fungus, that seemed to abate with the copper soap anti-fungus
treatment. Caused rust spots on the leaves.
I just discovered aphids and those little green bugs on a extra plant I
had in a pot. I have resorted to local Sevin treatments on the
non-flowering plants.

I do see some leaves curling under, and branches that are not fully
developed. Some I picked off.

But no Yellow leaves here yet.

Cheers

Old 04-07-2011, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Martin Riddle" wrote:

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
[...]

You couldn't use soapy water, or lady bugs? You had to nuke them? You
know Sevin kills pollinators, huh?
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/