Old 06-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Registered User

Location: southwick
Default beetroot

Does anyone know when to harvest beetroot, or is it a case of different times for different types?
__________________
Brian Fletcher

www.sussexlandscapes.com
Old 06-07-2011, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

fletcher wrote:
Does anyone know when to harvest beetroot, or is it a case of
different times for different types?

Cut it when it is the size you like to eat. If you don't know what that is
experiment. It does tend to get woody when over large.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

fletcher wrote:

Does anyone know when to harvest beetroot, or is it a case of different
times for different types?

depending upon soil condition and how much
rain you've been having... usually, any time
you like up to about baseball size is good
for many varieties. if you are pickling or
particularly interested in cuteness or
presentation then pick them anywhere from
quarter to golf ball sized (but it means more
work to prepare them).

we have a hard time letting them get very big.

the greens can be used too.

songbird
Old 07-07-2011, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

fletcher wrote:

Does anyone know when to harvest beetroot, or is it a case of different
times for different types?

depending upon soil condition and how much
rain you've been having... usually, any time
you like up to about baseball size is good
for many varieties. if you are pickling or
particularly interested in cuteness or
presentation then pick them anywhere from
quarter to golf ball sized (but it means more
work to prepare them).

we have a hard time letting them get very big.

the greens can be used too.

Cook like chard: olive oil, garlic, and sautée.

songbird

--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/

Old 07-07-2011, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
songbird wrote:

fletcher wrote:

Does anyone know when to harvest beetroot, or is it a case of
different times for different types?

depending upon soil condition and how much
rain you've been having... usually, any time
you like up to about baseball size is good
for many varieties. if you are pickling or
particularly interested in cuteness or
presentation then pick them anywhere from
quarter to golf ball sized (but it means more
work to prepare them).

we have a hard time letting them get very big.

the greens can be used too.

Cook like chard: olive oil, garlic, and sautée.

It is chard.

Same genus, but not the same species. The former is Beta cicla, and the
later Beta vulgaris. Morphologically Beta cicla is grown for its leaves,
whereas Beta vulgaris is grown for its root. However, we prefer the
leaves of Beta vulgaris to the leaves of Beta cicla for flavor. Prepare
as above for chard.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

Same genus, but not the same species. The former is Beta cicla, and the
later Beta vulgaris.

May be, and I'm too lazy to dig out my copy of St. Ashworth*, BUT:
The Seed Saver's Exchange, in the front of the annual yearbook for member
swaps says, "Swiss Chard- any beet that is grown for its greens." Probably
makes life easier for knowing where to put stuff.

*Suzanne Ashworth will be one of the speakers at the SSE campout convention
weekend of 7/15; I'll try to resist kissing Her ring or something.

P.S. I found it-"Seed to Seed" calls Garden Beet, Sugar Beet, Swiss Chard,
Mangel, all Beta Vulgaris.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Billy wrote:

Same genus, but not the same species. The former is Beta cicla, and the
later Beta vulgaris.

May be, and I'm too lazy to dig out my copy of St. Ashworth*, BUT:
The Seed Saver's Exchange, in the front of the annual yearbook for member
swaps says, "Swiss Chard- any beet that is grown for its greens." Probably
makes life easier for knowing where to put stuff.

*Suzanne Ashworth will be one of the speakers at the SSE campout convention
weekend of 7/15; I'll try to resist kissing Her ring or something.

P.S. I found it-"Seed to Seed" calls Garden Beet, Sugar Beet, Swiss Chard,
Mangel, all Beta Vulgaris.

Whether it is Beta vulgaris L., or Beta vulgaris subsp. cicla, you eat
the root of one, and the leaves of the other. Clearly they aren't the
same thing. (You're really gonna make me work for this one, aren't you;O)
Now go away, you're blocking the view.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

Now go away, you're blocking the view.

A little harsh, eh?

You've never eaten beet leaves? Taste a lot like chard?

Oh, well, I'm going....

Old 07-07-2011, 06:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
songbird wrote:

fletcher wrote:

[...]

You've got those two round the wrong way surely?

Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Billy wrote:

Now go away, you're blocking the view.

A little harsh, eh?

You've never eaten beet leaves? Taste a lot like chard?

Oh, well, I'm going....

Jeez, what the hell. Yeah, as I mentioned, we prefer beet greens (Beta
vulgaris L.) to Swiss chard (Beta vulgaris subsp. cicla). You're not
going to miss much. Not much of a view from cyberspace. Pixels are
really limited, ya know? You're making me look like a cranky old man.
Say what you like. I am not old.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Billy wrote:

Now go away, you're blocking the view.

A little harsh, eh?

You've never eaten beet leaves? Taste a lot like chard?

Oh, well, I'm going....

I would have sworn that David would come out to play. (shrug)

Old 07-07-2011, 06:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
songbird wrote:

fletcher wrote:

[...]

We are NOW calling them Beta vulgaris L. (the beet), and Beta vulgaris
subsp. cicla (the Swiss chard). Don't block the view.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
songbird wrote:

fletcher wrote:

[...]

Fair enough. I love both of them so name doesn't really get in my way.

Don't block the view.

Well sit down back there and wait till I sit down. Either that, or don't
try looking round me when I've got my big sunhat on!

Old 07-07-2011, 12:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Billy wrote:

Now go away, you're blocking the view.

A little harsh, eh?

You've never eaten beet leaves? Taste a lot like chard?

Oh, well, I'm going....

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420'
elevation. NY WO G

I would have sworn that David would come out to play. (shrug)

Again? I served.

Beetroot Nitro® United Kingdom 2 28-05-2007 12:55 PM
Advice please about radish and beetroot scallyally Edible Gardening 0 22-05-2007 11:53 AM
Beetroot tops The Reids United Kingdom 9 26-08-2004 10:37 AM
Beetroot Darkginger United Kingdom 5 08-07-2003 11:41 PM
Beetroot farmerbrown.fsnet.co.uk@fs United Kingdom 1 26-02-2003 05:39 AM