Old 09-07-2011, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default tomatoes

Hello to the group .My question /comment is.For the first few weeks I
had many large vine ripened delicious tomatoes from different varieties
But now I believe the mockingbirds are pecking them just as they start
to turn and also on the very bottom there is a large discolored area
that is bad, Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. hlb SW
arkansas

Old 09-07-2011, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/9/2011 10:08 AM, HL B123 wrote:
Hello to the group .My question /comment is.For the first few weeks I
had many large vine ripened delicious tomatoes from different varieties
But now I believe the mockingbirds are pecking them just as they start
to turn and also on the very bottom there is a large discolored area
that is bad, Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. hlb SW
arkansas

Sounds like blossom end rot. The cure is calcium. I sprinkle a handful
of limestone in my pots every season. It is not too late to do now.

Can't help with the birds.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Frank wrote:

On 7/9/2011 10:08 AM, HL B123 wrote:
Hello to the group .My question /comment is.For the first few weeks I
had many large vine ripened delicious tomatoes from different varieties
But now I believe the mockingbirds are pecking them just as they start
to turn and also on the very bottom there is a large discolored area
that is bad, Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. hlb SW
arkansas

Sounds like blossom end rot. The cure is calcium. I sprinkle a handful
of limestone in my pots every season. It is not too late to do now.

Can't help with the birds.

Netting should help with the birds. Blossom end rot (BER) may be caused
by a calcium deficiency, which in turn can be caused by uneven watering.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 10-07-2011, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

HL B123 wrote:
Hello to the group .My question /comment is.For the first few weeks I
had many large vine ripened delicious tomatoes from different
varieties But now I believe the mockingbirds are pecking them just as
they start to turn and also on the very bottom there is a large
discolored area that is bad, Any thoughts or suggestions would be
appreciated. hlb SW arkansas

The problem at the bottom is blossom end rot. This is a calcium deficiency
brought on by calcium shortage in the soil and/or irregular watering, the
latter is common. Not much you can do about the first now unless you want
to try foliar sprays of soluble calcium salts. The second is up to you to
water regularly taking into account the heat and wind and adjusting the
water accordingly.