Old 09-07-2011, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Wilting Zukes

Went outta town for a few days , while we were gone the gkids and their
mom watered for me . A couple of my zucchini plants have an unexplained
wilting of leaves - and one has died , but it was weak to begin with . I'm
pretty sure they didn't water enough to let it soak deep like I do , but
most of the rest of my plants - and all the cantalopes - are still doing
well .
One thing , the plant that is wilting he most has a zuke about 6" long
growing . Can that increase the water required that much ? I watered
everything well yesterday , let the hose run slow and moved it around until
everything is deeply soaked . This morning the leaves are still wilted ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 09-07-2011, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Snag"
wrote:

Went outta town for a few days , while we were gone the gkids and their
mom watered for me . A couple of my zucchini plants have an unexplained
wilting of leaves - and one has died , but it was weak to begin with . I'm
pretty sure they didn't water enough to let it soak deep like I do , but
most of the rest of my plants - and all the cantalopes - are still doing
well .
One thing , the plant that is wilting he most has a zuke about 6" long
growing . Can that increase the water required that much ? I watered
everything well yesterday , let the hose run slow and moved it around until
everything is deeply soaked . This morning the leaves are still wilted ...

Not a good sign. Do you check the soil for dampness before you water?
How often and long do you water? Any chance the zuch drowned? Do you
have insects that look like this
http://www.vegedge.umn.edu/vegpest/cucs/squabug.htm ?
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article , "Snag"
wrote:

Went outta town for a few days , while we were gone the gkids and
their mom watered for me . A couple of my zucchini plants have an
unexplained wilting of leaves - and one has died , but it was weak
to begin with . I'm pretty sure they didn't water enough to let it
soak deep like I do , but most of the rest of my plants - and all
the cantalopes - are still doing well .
One thing , the plant that is wilting he most has a zuke about 6"
long growing . Can that increase the water required that much ? I
watered everything well yesterday , let the hose run slow and moved
it around until everything is deeply soaked . This morning the
leaves are still wilted ...

Not a good sign. Do you check the soil for dampness before you water?

Yes , I let it dry down an inch or two before watering .

How often and long do you water?

I water when the soil is dry an inch or two deep . And I water until it's
soaked a few inches deep . I want to make sure I encourage the roots to go
deep .

Any chance the zuch drowned?

Nope , see above . We've been having extremely hot/sunny weather here .

Do you have insects that look like this
http://www.vegedge.umn.edu/vegpest/cucs/squabug.htm ?

Nope , the birds do a damn good job of keeping the bugs out .
--
- Billy

I suspect they just didn't water enough/deep enough , because the plants
seem to be recovering . All except the one that died ... as I said , we've
had a lot of really hot sunny weather here in Memphis Tn .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 09-07-2011, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Snag"
wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article , "Snag"
wrote:

[...]

If they are still wilted in the morning, I'd put up something to block
the hot afternoon's sun. I had to do that with some potted plants that I
separated from each other just before planting this year.

Let's just hope it's just one of those little mysteries of gardening,
and now it will go away.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Snag wrote:
Went outta town for a few days , while we were gone the gkids and
their mom watered for me . A couple of my zucchini plants have an
unexplained wilting of leaves - and one has died , but it was weak to
begin with . I'm pretty sure they didn't water enough to let it soak
deep like I do , but most of the rest of my plants - and all the
cantalopes - are still doing well .
One thing , the plant that is wilting he most has a zuke about 6"
long growing . Can that increase the water required that much ? I
watered everything well yesterday , let the hose run slow and moved
it around until everything is deeply soaked . This morning the leaves
are still wilted ...

A few of possibilites. They have been allowed to dry out so much the leaf
tissue is permanently damaged. Nothing you can do about that but the new
leaves will be OK and the plant will recover after being set back.

Second the plant has root damage due to nematodes etc or root rot. It is
probably doomed. Third it has a fungal wilt on the leaves, this should be
visible, powdery mildew is common on cucurbits in humid summers, you can
spray if you want to.

David

Old 14-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Registered User

this site is very useful for me....
Jeringas Y Agujas

Zukes not fully developing Paul M. Cook Gardening 9 29-08-2011 01:01 AM
Why no more new fruit on my zukes? Todd Gardening 17 13-08-2011 12:41 AM
Zukes ond gender bias Paul M. Cook Gardening 11 07-08-2010 06:14 AM
Gad zukes Paul M. Cook Gardening 2 12-07-2010 10:12 AM
growing zukes for seed Dawn Edible Gardening 3 29-07-2004 06:06 PM